Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas Increase After Changing to Newer BiPAP
Central Apneas Increase After Changing to Newer BiPAP
I have a friend who was being treated well with the ResMed S9 Auto25. 
She updated her machine to the AirCurve 10 VAuto using the same settings and her central events skyrocketed for some reason. 

I have attached a before and after screenshot of her charts. I don't know if anything further is needed to investigate this, but any help would be appreciated. 

[Image: 179730761_3942257635881343_1657512820769...e=60AEC255]
[Image: 179382877_3942054199235020_3974439295810...e=60AEAA03]
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas Increase After Changing to Newer BiPAP
I Tried to look at your history and see why you have PS=8, This is why we encourage all your therapy posts to be in a single thread. I also don't know why the S9 didn't find any CA events

So why are you at PS=8? I did see you had other breathing issues.

Was this VAuto new or used? If used, Please do a factory reset then reset your pressure and PS settings.

Please check your Trigger and cycle settings. We want the Trigger setting to be high to start a breath (inhale) on a smaller indication. Cycle should be, for now, Med (default)
Based on the chart alone I would radically reduce your PS, to something that would resemble the Autoset (with EPR=3) then go from there, BUT we need to understand your other breathing issues first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon.

You didn't find any history because this isn't my issue. I have a friend asking me about this, and I'm transferring the info here for advice. Sadly, she is not very tech-savvy and it will be hard to translate instructions that she can use.

I'll pass along your suggestions and we'll see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW that After OSCAR would be reminiscent of my BPAP experience, with BPAP usage right after a diagnostic study showing Centrals at 124 and Obstructive at 24. Does your friend have her study results? She needs them for herself, but it can be posted or at least posting the event type and count table. Untreated CA is pretty common unfortunately. Just a maybe that is the CA spike cause.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave. 

I guess her biggest concern, question is why did it spike all of a sudden when the only difference is a newer machine. Prior to changing she was having virtually 0 centrals. As far as I can tell, the settings are the same for both machines. 

I had her lower the PS to 4 for tonight, so we'll see how that does for a couple of nights and go from there.

Post Reply Post Reply
Upsman, lets start really simple, and change her settings to EPAP min 7.0, Max IPAP 16.0 and PS 4.0. Set the trigger sensitivity to high. Lets compare results from those settings and I think most of this should be resolved. I suspect there were problems with the old S9 because it shows her median tidal volume was an extremely low 140 mL, but now on the Vauto she is 460 mL. I am certain she will do better with the lower PS. I also see an extremely low respiration rate and unsurvivable minute vent on the S9. Those respiratory number are impossible, so I'm assuming an error.

Now I see it. Update her Oscar version to the current 1.2.0 then take another look at the data. There are clearly errors, especially for the S9 we can't rely on version 1.0.0 beta2
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post edited. See below.  Rolleyes

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2021, 03:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Now I see it.  Update her Oscar version to the current 1.2.0 then take another look at the data.  There are clearly errors, especially for the S9 we can't rely on version 1.0.0 beta2

Ahhh, I didn’t catch that either. I’ll let her know about updating OSCAR.

THANKS.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes a too high PS can certainly send things off kilter. If an edit to whichever culprit caused the high CA reporting, this may clear up immediately. Keep us updated.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2021, 04:25 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:  Keep us updated.

Thanks, Dave. 

I let her know to first update from Sleepyhead to the newest version of OSCAR and give me some new charts. 
She has also lowered the PS to 4, and I told her to let me know if it made any difference. 

She is in India so I'm not sure what the time difference is between there and Florida, but when she responds we'll see what happened.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 582 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 77 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,518 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.