Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas and Medication
Central Apneas and Medication
Does anyone know if getting an ASV will help with Central Apneas if the Central Apneas are caused by medications?

I don't know if my Centrals are caused by medications but I am on Lyrica and Pristique. I am suspicious that the Lyrica might be causing the centrals. 

I take my meds for depression and anxiety and I don't think I can get off of them. I've been on them for 13 years and they saved my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas and Medication
I take Lyrica for nerve pain. My nightly AHI statistics have been swinging wildly for me--from 0.3 AHI TO OVER 5 AHI--haven't had that for years. I've been experimenting to see if it the Lyrica causing problems--not certain yet. If anything not taking it at night has made things worth but of course this is just in my vase--I don't take any depressive drugs, just a lot of heart meds and supplements.
Post Reply Post Reply
An ASV is capable of treating CA’s whatever the cause
Post Reply Post Reply
We have had members use ASV for treatment while using opioids. As Jaswilliams said, ASV will work to maintain respiration rate and volume regardless of the cause.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you suspect your meds are causing Central Apneas, and that is entirely possible, talk to your doctor.

ASV as mentioned earlier will manage centrals no matter the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
If COPD hadn't gotten in the way, I would have been successfully treated of CA and OA while on ASV and opioids and steroid based anti-inflammatory meds. And it would have given great apnea therapy, 0-3 AHI per night, and was getting the best sleep and rest I've had in years. The ResMed ASV will squash all the CA you throw at it if you've got it set up right. As with all other CPAP machines, the pressures need optimized for your personal needs.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 848 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 300 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.