Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas positional?
Central Apneas positional?
I have been noting numerous occasions that would give rise to the question, "Can Central Apneas be initiated by a positional event?"  [ie:Airway restriction]

Here is a prime example of steady sleep with a disturbance and immediately followed by a CA.  A soft Cervical Collar works wonders for the OAs but occasionally they creep past-  as I would guess CAs maybe can..

[attachment=7121]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas positional?
Central Apnea has nothing to do with positional causes. The event you showed is commonly called a sigh. It's a large inhale and exhale of air which causes the CO2 balance to drop. It delays breathing until the CO2 builds back up. It's a normal thing that happens to everyone and is not a central event. Chalk it up to a false report by the machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 12:58 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Central Apnea has nothing to do with positional causes. The event you showed is commonly called a sigh.  It's a large inhale and exhale of air which causes the CO2 balance to drop. It delays breathing until the CO2 builds back up. It's a normal thing that happens to everyone and is not a central event. Chalk it up to a false report by the machine.

Thanks Walla.  That is good to know.  50-60% of my CAs are 'sighs' then.   Okay 
Glad I finally asked..
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Central Apnea has nothing to do with positional causes.

I have a paper somewhere (can't find it at the moment) where positional aspects of central apnea were examined. The result (which surprised me) is that there is in fact a small correlation between sleeping position and central apnea. Side sleeping is better for both obstructive apnea (to a large extent) and for central apnea (to a small extent). Of course side sleeping can be a right pain in the ar** for people with spinal problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 07:55 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Central Apnea has nothing to do with positional causes.

I have a paper somewhere (can't find it at the moment) where positional aspects of central apnea were examined. The result (which surprised me) is that there is in fact a small correlation between sleeping position and central apnea. Side sleeping is better for both obstructive apnea (to a large extent) and for central apnea (to a small extent). Of course side sleeping can be a right pain in the ar** for people with spinal problems.

Hmm?  As I have to sleep on my back I would be interested in the paper should you find it... Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2018, 09:01 AM)zzzZorro Wrote: Hmm?  As I have to sleep on my back I would be interested in the paper should you find it... Thanks!

That may be the worst position you could sleep in, but if you have to you have to.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2018, 03:54 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 09:01 AM)zzzZorro Wrote: Hmm?  As I have to sleep on my back I would be interested in the paper should you find it... Thanks!

That may be the worst position you could sleep in, but if you have to you have to.

Probably, but consider running a 22cmH20 IPAP... necessitating a FFmask.  Restricted side to side movement and laying on the back is a plus from the leaks and mask pharting standpoint.  It is what it is Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro Wrote:Hmm? As I have to sleep on my back I would be interested in the paper should you find it... Thanks!

I can't lay my hands on the paper I referenced above, but a quick Google search turned up this one, which references ten other papers: http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2017/03/ca...eep-apnea/
Post Reply Post Reply
From that one article it appears it may have a benefit for those with heart problems. Sounds like there's less pressure on the heart when sleeping on your side. It doesn't really address if it helps those without heart problems though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We often see CA events from sleep transition, arousal, changes in sleep position etc. It's hard to say what this one is, but I agree with Walla that there is a breathing change like arousal and you probably just held your breath briefly as you changed position a bit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.