Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas showing up w/new machine
Central Apneas showing up w/new machine
Upgraded to the AutoSet from the Elite. Now, reading the data, centrals are showing up where I have never had them before.

With 2 weeks of data from the Elite, not a single central apnea. On the first night with the AutoSet, I had them appear. Note: my first night w/the AutoSet was set exactly as the Elite (cpap mode at 11). I didn't use auto until the next night.

Someone answered on a previous thread that both machines are capable of recording/recognizing centrals. I'm just baffled though because the only variable that has changed was the machine. Wondering, did anyone else ever experience this type of thing? Any ideas to why it may be occurring??

Btw, AHI's are still <2 consistently w/the Elite and AutoSet so I am very thankful for that! Just trying to figure why the AutoSet shows them and the Elite did not...strange!

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas showing up w/new machine
My AutoSet (used at straight 7 pressure) also registers random centrals on most nights, see my last thread. It could be the way the machine reads your breathing. Also, not sure how different the two machines are but it could be your body getting used to a new device.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just recently had this problem. My centrals were eliminated by turning off EPR. I had it set at 3. In my case though my AHI was creeping up.

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 10:36 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I just recently had this problem. My centrals were eliminated by turning off EPR. I had it set at 3. In my case though my AHI was creeping up.

Very interesting!

I just re-checked my settings; the first two nights with the AutoSet, I had the EPR switched to off. Many events (for me)! Reset to the "2" setting and now I'm back to having maybe 2 or 3 total events during the whole night.

Still, one was a central apnea which I never had with the Elite. Not too worried bc my AHI's are excellent but what drives me crazy is I can't quite figure why I'm seeing centrals with the new machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 11:18 AM)Stargazer Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 10:36 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I just recently had this problem. My centrals were eliminated by turning off EPR. I had it set at 3. In my case though my AHI was creeping up.

Very interesting!

I just re-checked my settings; the first two nights with the AutoSet, I had the EPR switched to off. Many events (for me)! Reset to the "2" setting and now I'm back to having maybe 2 or 3 total events during the whole night.

Still, one was a central apnea which I never had with the Elite. Not too worried bc my AHI's are excellent but what drives me crazy is I can't quite figure why I'm seeing centrals with the new machine!

Every time you change something this could happen. Granted, as you know, it's not a big deal but if you want to know exactly what is really going on you will have to leave things alone for a few days. Your brains are pretty smart critters: They know when you're doing something different such as turning EPR on and off, or going to a different machine with variable pressures. Let the little guys relax for a few days and see how it goes.

Then if you're still seeing one or two centrals a night it's still probably not any big thing, just a difference in the way the two machines view the world.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought here.
Is it a far stretch to suggest that the algarhythms could be different between the two machines?
Good luck to you in solving the puzzle.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 12:10 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Your brains are pretty smart critters: They know when you're doing something different such as turning EPR on and off, or going to a different machine with variable pressures. Let the little guys relax for a few days and see how it goes.

I will do just that and then take a look again, good advice.

(05-03-2014, 12:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Just a thought here.
Is it a far stretch to suggest that the algarhythms could be different between the two machines?
Good luck to you in solving the puzzle.

I was thinking the same thing about an algorithm thing. Both machines were new, at least I think they were and are.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 07:34 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Someone answered on a previous thread that both machines are capable of recording/recognizing centrals. I'm just baffled though because the only variable that has changed was the machine. Wondering, did anyone else ever experience this type of thing?
Might be good idea to keep related stuff in the same thread so anyone who answers would have better perspective of whats going on
Yes as this 'someone' guy said 'CSA) detection is available in both S9 AutoSet and S9 Elite' and might also add 'enhanced AutoSet algorithm is only available in the S9 AutoSet

Everyone is different, every day/night is different, never a dull moment. My experience yet different, usually I get few centrals when used the AutoSet on straight pressure but hardy any on AutoSet mode

Give me a moment or two to have my morning tea and I can look up the appropriate links
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 01:46 PM)zonk Wrote: Might be good idea to keep related stuff in the same thread so anyone who answers would have better perspective of whats going on
Yes as this 'someone' guy said 'CSA) detection is available in both S9 AutoSet and S9 Elite' and might also add 'enhanced AutoSet algorithm is only available in the S9 AutoSet

Give me a moment or two to have my morning tea and I can look up the appropriate links

Hey Zonk. Yeah, I guess I should have asked on my "titration question" thread. Apologies! Still pretty new at this forum stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to look up the links. Very curious to see what you find.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 01:51 PM)Stargazer Wrote: Very curious to see what you find.
Here are some reading materials, study hard, there will be a multiple choice questions test for all newbies, exam date is yet to be announced Coffee

ResMed’s Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm - CSA detection
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...toset.html

Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...-paper.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 592 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,521 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,401 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.