Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas showing up w/new machine
RE: Central Apneas showing up w/new machine
(05-03-2014, 02:28 PM)zonk Wrote: Here are some reading materials, study hard, there will be a multiple choice questions test for all newbies, exam date is yet to be announced Coffee

Haha, pop quiz, eh? Nice! I will endeavor to study my butt off.

Thanks for the links, Zonk. Much obliged! Thanks
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 01:40 PM)Stargazer Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 12:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Just a thought here.
Is it a far stretch to suggest that the algarhythms could be different between the two machines?
Good luck to you in solving the puzzle.

I was thinking the same thing about an algorithm thing. Both machines were new, at least I think they were and are.

Even if the machines were running different software versions (for example because one was newer and had a different hardware component), I doubt the Central Sleep Apnea Detection algorithm or the treatment algorithms would be intentionally different.

These are medical devices, and I would expect the treatment algorithms would need to be extensively safety tested and that software behavior could not be significantly changed without a huge amount of retesting and recertification by government agencies, etc.

The ResMed white paper (which Zonk posted the link to, earlier above) mentions that the previous AutoSet algorithm (used by S8 series and some earlier series) remained unchanged for 10 years before the new Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm was released with the S9 series AutoSet.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 12:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Just a thought here.
Is it a far stretch to suggest that the algarhythms could be different between the two machines?
Good luck to you in solving the puzzle.

"* The Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm is only available in the S9 AutoSet."

Copied from the ResMed Website re: S9 AutoSet....

Mystery solved!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 09:09 AM)Stargazer Wrote: "* The Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm is only available in the S9 AutoSet."

Copied from the ResMed Website re: S9 AutoSet....

Mystery solved!

Although only the S9 AutoSet has the new Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm (introduced around 2010) for automatically adjusting the pressure, actually both the S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet share the same Central Sleep Apnea Detection algorithm.

This info can also be found on the ResMed website, but to verify you can also call ResMed Customer Service line to talk to a technical representative to confirm both machines report central apneas using same detection algorithm.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 01:16 PM)vsheline Wrote: Although only the S9 AutoSet has the new Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm (introduced around 2010) for automatically adjusting the pressure, actually both the S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet share the same Central Sleep Apnea Detection algorithm.

....mystery continues!

I may just call them. I will share their response if/when I get the chance. Should be interesting!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 566 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.