Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas while awake and at night
Central Apneas while awake and at night
One post on the board is very interesting to me. The suggestion was I start a new thread. I started with a CPAP last July 2016, with success in getting my apnea AHI to 2 very quickly and that continued until December 2016 when I started to take Lexapro for depression. The Lexapro worked very well and I felt great; however, over time, I have seen my nighttime central apneas going up to between 8 and 12 an hour at night. Before I had an average number of .5 for 6 months for Central Apneas.

I am now sleeping very badly. When awake and trying to get to sleep with my CPAP on, the Central Apneas do the same thing; let night for example it was an 8; it has been a 12 awake.

This is very distressing because I can only relate it to a change in medication, which helps my mental state significantly, but my sleep is suffering. On some nights, I am lucky to get those Central Apneas down to 2 to 4, but mostly they are over 8, even if I don't get rest.

I have a Sleep Apnea appointment scheduled in April, but will call for an earlier appointment. My recent Pulmonary tests were relatively normal, or at least unchanged and oxygen levels were within normal limits. I have had cardiac tests, cardiac risk score (142) and have been diagnosed as genetic Lip A high, although cholesterol is normal. Recent medications have lowered my LDL to 50 from 99 and HDL from 65 to 75. All good. No ischemia although I have calcium build up in my heart.

Like the other writer, I feel as though I am hyperventilating sometimes, and having to breathe but I am not out of breath even when exercising.

Thanks for the feedback; I am wondering if I should wean of Lexapro?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas while awake and at night
There are numerous other antidepressants. Some folks go through several before finding the one which works best for them. This is definitely something to discuss with the prescribing provider.

When I was initially diagnosed with a mixed apnea some 20+ years ago, I was put on the antidepressant Vivactil (protriptyline) to control it. It helped immensely - no headaches waking, no feeling hung over without drinking the night before, and being able to stay awake better during the day. It is a specific option you may wish to consider with your doc. As an older antidepressant, it is quite inexpensive compared to the newer ones.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Central apnea would be a serious side-effect you should discuss with your doctor. You may need a substitute medication, or a machine that treats central apnea could be prescribed (bilevel ASV). Can't tell you which one is better, but ASV will definitely resolve centrals provided you have a medical need for it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As someone who struggled to find an SSRI that worked for me when I was younger (I no longer take one), I would suggest you attempt to treat the Apnea using an ASV before switching up the SSRI,  provided your heart is strong enough, and your LVEF is not < 45.  

My reasoning:  when swapping SSRIs you will need to wean of the first and ramp up the second.  It will take considerable amount of time before you are stabilized on the new SSRI and could very well find the new SSRI is not acceptable from a treatment perspective or it's given you additional side-effects.  Worst of all, you may still have SSRI induced central Apnea.

Why bother with that when you can treat it with an ASV the day you have the machine, while still effectively using the same SSRI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many anti-depressants affect sleep quality and can cause insomnia, especially in the first first months.

I wanted to comment on this:
Quote:When awake and trying to get to sleep with my CPAP on, the Central Apneas do the same thing; let night for example it was an 8; it has been a 12 awake.

Anything the machine measures while you are not fully asleep is garbage data must be ignored.  If these CA are happening when you are trying to get to sleep, they are not real.  Unlike a sleep lab, the machine has no way of knowing if you are asleep or not.  Our normal breathing when awake can appear (to the machine) exactly like central or obstructive apnea or hypopneas.  This is usually referred to as Sleep/Wake Junk.
Post Reply Post Reply
REwhat is the difference in an SSRI and ASV and what do the acronyms stand for?
(03-11-2017, 09:09 AM)And what Wrote: One post on the board is very interesting to me. The suggestion was I start a new thread. I started with a CPAP last July 2016, with success in getting my apnea AHI to 2 very quickly and that continued until December 2016 when I started to take Lexapro for depression. The Lexapro worked very well and I felt great; however, over time, I have seen my nighttime central apneas going up to between 8 and 12 an hour at night. Before I had an average number of .5 for 6 months for Central Apneas.

I am now sleeping very badly. When awake and trying to get to sleep with my CPAP on, the Central Apneas do the same thing; let night for example it was an 8; it has been a 12 awake.

This is very distressing because I can only relate it to a change in medication, which helps my mental state significantly, but my sleep is suffering. On some nights, I am lucky to get those Central Apneas down to 2 to 4, but mostly they are over 8, even if I don't get rest.

I have a Sleep Apnea appointment scheduled in April, but will call for an earlier appointment. My recent Pulmonary tests were relatively normal, or at least unchanged and oxygen levels were within normal limits. I have had cardiac tests, cardiac risk score (142) and have been diagnosed as genetic Lip A high, although cholesterol is normal. Recent medications have lowered my LDL to 50 from 99 and HDL from 65 to 75. All good. No ischemia although I have calcium build up in my heart.

Like the other writer, I feel as though I am hyperventilating sometimes, and having to breathe but I am not out of breath even when exercising.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 09:09 AM)Lkng67 Wrote: One post on the board is very interesting to me. The suggestion was I start a new thread. I started with a CPAP last July 2016, with success in getting my apnea AHI to 2 very quickly and that continued until December 2016 when I started to take Lexapro for depression. The Lexapro worked very well and I felt great; however, over time, I have seen my nighttime central apneas going up to between 8 and 12 an hour at night. Before I had an average number of .5 for 6 months for Central Apneas.

no real problem before
add lexapro and there is a problem
i would certainly wean off it and see if it doesnt get better
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 07:09 PM)xxyzx Wrote: no real problem before

This response ignores the reason you started the Lexapro in the first place. I understand from your post there was a real problem before, it just wasn't your apnea. ASV may be the answer for your centrals as suggested by Sleeprider but that and need for and choice of medications should be discussed with your doctor.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 11:54 PM)Melman Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 07:09 PM)xxyzx Wrote: no real problem before

This response ignores the reason you started the Lexapro in the first place. I understand from your post there was a real problem before, it just wasn't your apnea. ASV may be the answer for your centrals as suggested by Sleeprider but that and need for and choice of medications should be discussed with your doctor.

the question was whether lexapro caused the apnea changes

natually a total system fix needs to consider all problems or else compromise and fix the worst one while not making others worse
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 5 241 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: meatheadmd
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 630 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 270 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 444 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 658 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.