Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Events
Central Events
Years ago, my father was diagnosed with severe OSA. My wife went to the doctor with me for a checkup and she mentioned I have some erratic behavior when I sleep and I had a sleep study. I also had severe OSA. I am not a new user of CPAP, but I never shared this story. I have very vivid dreaming. Since the CPAP therapy, my dreams are sometimes so crazy. Recently joining the Apnea Board and getting the correct software to access my data (my current therapist could care less when I call asking for help) I noticed that my ResMed S9 Autoset is detecting that I have CSA now for up to 20 seconds, multiple times a night. The obstructive apneas still happen, but by far the CSAs are predominant. So I pose some questions: Do others experience this? Is this kind of change signal a health issue that I should get to the doctor? Could the CSAs cause this weird dreaming? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Central Events
Hi Chucks. I'm splitting this into a separate thread so others are more likely to see it and respond to it.

So your AHI is dominated by your CA index. Can you tell us what numbers you're getting? Like for example if you take the last week's worth of data what is your AHI and your CA index? Also, what is your pressure (average pressure, 95th percentile, etc.)?

It could be that when the pressure is too high it induces the central apneas. Perhaps lowering the pressure will help. Have you talked to a doctor about this?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chucks, WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Sleepster said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2013, 09:51 AM)Chucks Wrote: Years ago, my father was diagnosed with severe OSA. My wife went to the doctor with me for a checkup and she mentioned I have some erratic behavior when I sleep and I had a sleep study. I also had severe OSA. I am not a new user of CPAP, but I never shared this story. I have very vivid dreaming. Since the CPAP therapy, my dreams are sometimes so crazy. Recently joining the Apnea Board and getting the correct software to access my data (my current therapist could care less when I call asking for help) I noticed that my ResMed S9 Autoset is detecting that I have CSA now for up to 20 seconds, multiple times a night. The obstructive apneas still happen, but by far the CSAs are predominant. So I pose some questions: Do others experience this? Is this kind of change signal a health issue that I should get to the doctor? Could the CSAs cause this weird dreaming? Huh

Hi Chucks, welcome to the forum!

How many months or years have you been using CPAP/APAP? (Often the CAI will improve over the first several months of treatment.)

Also, it is fairly common for us to have a few central apneas or hypopneas which occur before we are fully asleep. The machine does't know you were not asleep, so it will mistakenly include these central events when it calculates the CAI. So we will need to look at the data (time record) and discount any central apneas which occur while we are falling asleep.

The respiration tech at my doctor's office recently told me that most US insurance companies will not pay to upgrade a patient's machine (from a standard CPAP/APAP machine, to a machine which also treats central apnea) unless the CAI (Central Apnea Index, average number of central apneas per hour) is 16 or higher, or unless the central apneas are sometimes very long, like a minute or so.

However, I think Medicare guidelines only require the CAI to be at least 5 and predominant (CAI larger than Obstructive Apnea Index).

In any case, if the number of centrals is not averaging at least 5 per hour, as far as I know the US medical insurance industry would not regard it as serious enough to need to be reduced.

Looking forward to your reply to Sleepster about your CAI, AHI, average/95%/Max pressure, etc.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 346 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.