Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Sleep Apnea
Central Sleep Apnea
My machine is at least 8 years old. My local respiratory provider has tried to read my Smart Card twice to no avail. I would like to take advantage of some newer technology and update my equipment. My last Sleep test (2008) indicated 50% central/complex Apnea. Do I have to use an AutoSV (Aircurve 10 AutoSV machine at 3x the price of a well equiped auto (AirCurve 10 auto) machine? It is gonna cost me my full deductible for a sleep test and then some to go through my insurance company and then still pay for my part of the new machine at insurance company prices. I would by a reasonably priced of the internet if I could.
My doctor will give me an Rx.
By the way, my current machine did save my life.
Anybody in my boat?
Thanks,
Bayard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Sleep Apnea
From the complex apnea with central events I have seen, the most comfort and "feeling" of syncing with the machine has been for the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV, rather than the Philips Respironics BiPAP Auto SV Advanced. The Respironics machine appears to have a greater amount of manual adjustments to make the therapy work, but the auto mode of the Resmed usually hits it right away.

There are a number of members on this forum with central and mixed apnea, and the graphs and history or their experience is available, if only it was so easy to search. I have worked with a lot of them. It's always been easier with the Resmed machine to get it dialed in.

You asked about the difference between a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, and the Aircurve 10 ASV. There is a HUGE price difference. The Autoset is an auto-CPAP with a maximum pressure support (exhale pressure relief) of 3 cm H2O. The Aircurve 10 vAuto that I use is a full bilevel machine, but it uses a fixed pressure support. So with that machine, we can provide a fairly wide difference between inhale and exhale pressure, but it is not on a breath by breath basis, it is fixed and provided with every breath. The Aircurve 10 ASV, can provide anywhere from zero pressure support, providing constant pressure which helps central apnea, to ramping up pressure support up to the 25 cm capacity of the machine to make you breath when you fail to take a breath. It's an amazing machine, that monitors your normal respiration rate, and when you stop breathing during a central, simply ramps up pressure to let the breath happen. Same thing during shallow (hypopnea) breathing. Its capability to change pressure to keep you breathing at a constant rate is not provided by any other machine, and it seems to do it without disturbing your sleep or even your awareness. It provides full efficacy data, and you will see it working on a breath by breath basis by looking at the mask pressure graph.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bayard. Welcome to the Apnea Board. I too have Central Sleep Apnea and use an ASV machine. I suggest that you install Sleepyhead software and attempt to read your SD card yourself. Consider that your present SD card may be no good and you might need to replace it. Your current machine is an ASV machine. You could ask your Dr for a new prescription to replace your present machine if it is not working properly. With a new prescription you could shop online. You could check out our recommended suppliers list as well. Hopefully you can get a new prescription without a new sleep study. Another option would be to borrow a data capable ASV machine and bring in that SD card. I would also read that card myself to see what is going on as well. As SR says above the Aircurve 10 ASV machine is outstanding.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2016, 07:44 PM)richb Wrote: Hi Bayard. Welcome to the Apnea Board. I too have Central Sleep Apnea and use an ASV machine. I suggest that you install Sleepyhead software and attempt to read your SD card yourself. Consider that your present SD card may be no good and you might need to replace it. Aircurve 10 ASV machine is outstanding.

Rich

He is using a legacy machine with a Smartcard. Not compatible with #SleepyHead. Rich, you have great experience with the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. Can you expand on your "feeling" of working with that machine? Maybe show an example of the data that machine produces. Your earlier post that showed the mask pressure was especially good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is an image of my Sleepyhead data from a while ago. Notice the mask pressure spikes responding to interruptions in my flow pattern. http://i.imgur.com/NlrdLYB.png
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2016, 06:46 PM)Bayard Wrote: My machine is at least 8 years old. My local respiratory provider has tried to read my Smart Card twice to no avail. I would like to take advantage of some newer technology and update my equipment. My last Sleep test (2008) indicated 50% central/complex Apnea. Do I have to use an AutoSV (Aircurve 10 AutoSV machine at 3x the price of a well equiped auto (AirCurve 10 auto) machine? It is gonna cost me my full deductible for a sleep test and then some to go through my insurance company and then still pay for my part of the new machine at insurance company prices. I would by a reasonably priced of the internet if I could.
Anybody in my boat?
Thanks,
Bayard

Just thought I'd add, there is a guy on the CPAP forum from Supplier #1 that is selling his personal Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV for $1000 or best offer. If that sounds like a good deal, look it up and get it quick. We can't post a link to that, so you're on your own. Be careful with private transactions, but it's a lot cheaper than studies, and insurance copays on a device like that.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bayard,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting a newer machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2016, 09:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 06:46 PM)Bayard Wrote: My machine is at least 8 years old. My local respiratory provider has tried to read my Smart Card twice to no avail. I would like to take advantage of some newer technology and update my equipment. My last Sleep test (2008) indicated 50% central/complex Apnea. Do I have to use an AutoSV (Aircurve 10 AutoSV machine at 3x the price of a well equiped auto (AirCurve 10 auto) machine? It is gonna cost me my full deductible for a sleep test and then some to go through my insurance company and then still pay for my part of the new machine at insurance company prices. I would by a reasonably priced of the internet if I could.
Anybody in my boat?
Thanks,
Bayard

Just thought I'd add, there is a guy on the CPAP forum from Supplier #1 that is selling his personal Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV for $1000 or best offer. If that sounds like a good deal, look it up and get it quick. We can't post a link to that, so you're on your own. Be careful with private transactions, but it's a lot cheaper than studies, and insurance copays on a device like that.

That was sold, pretty sure, for 600.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,483 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,828 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.