Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Sleep Apnea / Auto CPAP Trial without Study
RE: Central Sleep Apnea / Auto CPAP Trial without Study
Some very positive things about getting a ResMed over BMC is that the ResMed is better known, settings do known things, uses OSCAR so you can see your usage data and control your own settings and therapy results. I see less financial risk in buying ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,
(Dave, Sleeprider, Geer, I'm adding to the forum rather than always asking)

OSCAR Software diagnosed everything with the help of the Forum (I'm still learning).

First CPAP, then BiPap, Now ResMed ASV. I have Complex Apnea.

Get those OSCAR trace recordings and the future is in YOUR hands
Post Reply Post Reply
We have had a few members use the BMC machines. They do provide auto CPAP therapy, but use a proprietary software with inadequate information. The machines on DotMed are used, but provide both CPAP therapy and ASV therapy as well as provide data. If you get one of those, you can try the CPAP mode, and if it shows a lot of apnea, just switch to ASVauto mode. We can teach you how to access and set the machine to treat central and obstructive apnea. In other words, for the same money, one of these used machines will actually treat your condition, even if it is central.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright, I did 2 nights  now with the pulse thingy. The first one didn't look too bad, this one looks a bit more like I'm feeling. But to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. These numbers don't seem too concerning from what I read online and I kinda doubt they explain why I feel like absolute death. If someone has a minute or two to have a glance at it, I would appreciate it.

Attached Files
.pdf   06_01_21.pdf (Size: 361.58 KB / Downloads: 16)
Post Reply Post Reply
I also tried importing it into OSCAR. See attachement below.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's not catastrophic but you spend most of the night close to 90% - 86-87% of the time was between 90 and 94%. That is something to explore if your daytime oxygenation is much more normal. IIRC, proper scoring of apneas only needs an associated 2% SpO2 decrease, I think.

What's your oxygen level like during the day? If you're normally sitting at 97% during the day, and then dropping to an average of around 90%? That absolutely is enough to potentially make you feel like death if you do it long enough and it represents a pattern where you're consistently hypoventilating at night and potentially becoming hypercapnic too.

Plus, if you do have central events causing this, they are notoriously irregular. Consistently inconsistent is the best way to describe them. I can go from between 20 minutes under 90% a night to nearly 4 hours, with no rhyme or reason to it. That's just how centrals are.

I'd do a few more days with the pulse ox (and do some awake recordings too, just while you're sitting quietly, so you can see what your patterns are like while awake). And then you definitely need to look at getting a sleep study to find out exactly what's causing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
For example, my own SpO2 follows this pattern and I've got Complex Sleep Apnea and respiratory disease, meaning COPD or Asthma depending on the doc and the day. My daytime numbers are mid to high 90's, but nighttime it can be low 90's, but not always. My SpO2 numbers are consistent with a certain "how I feel" state that I can tell if it falls to low 90 before I check. And this feel is accurate.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This was me BEFORE I got my Oxygen Concentrator:

Post Reply Post Reply
Your SPO2 is on the lower side but not indicating an obvious apnea case or an obvious cause of concern. Your SPO2 is actually quite smooth whereas apnea usually cause quick drops and rises (like you can see in richdreher's data). I had a bit of mild respiratory depression caused by opioids after wisdom tooth removal and rather than apnea I imagine your data might just be showing some minor effects like mine did and that may explain why your SPO2 is fairly smooth but a bit lower than expected.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Depression

If your SPO2 always follows that same pattern (dropping at the beginning of the night and then slowly rising later in the night) then it might be because your SPO2 is lower in NREM sleep and higher in REM sleep.

Overall my gut thought is that central apnea probably isn't the driving issue behind your symptoms. If you want to continue to investigate sleep I would try and record some video to see what is going on. There are some cheap infrared camera options or you can use any camera and a blindfold for a few nights and you might be able to see if anything interesting is going on (movements etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for taking the time to look at my data and helping me interpret it. I appreciate that a lot.

I guess most people don't want sleep apnea, but I'm very disappointed my numbers don't look worse. I'm sick of feeling like I'm literally dying but whatever I check and have checked in the last few years, it comes up clear. 

Thanks again everyone for your selfless efforts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.