Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad
Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad
I'm struggling despite using a Resmed Air Curve 10 for for mainly Central sleep apnea and obtaining AHIs of well under 5, usually under 1.

I'm a man just turned 60.  Throughout adulthood I've snored and never felt I got a good nights sleep. 30 years ago I had a rhinoplasty that helped my snoring a little. My feeling tired during the day was manageable until about 5 years' ago, when I began to feel really tired, began to get severe nose pain, became depressed and had to give up work.  I got rid of the depression and reduced the nose pain but the tiredness continued.  After a limited home sleep study I was given a CPAP machine that helped, only for the benefit to tail off.  I began to develop restless legs syndrome, for which I take Pramipexole/Mirapex with some degree of success, and felt increasingly cr@p during the day.  A full sleep study showed central sleep apneas with periodic limb movements and I was upgraded to the Aircurve 10.

I generally have no problem falling asleep and get an unbroken night's sleep but I still feel cr@p and sleepy during the day, a bit like having a hangover without the headaches (and the fun the night before).  Dozing appears to make no difference.  Blood tests show blood sugar at the high end of normal but not much else.  Taking vitamin supplements makes no difference.  I also have periods of chronic dry coughing that I put down to the Aircurve use.

If I doze on my back without the Aircurve I wake up with a start feeling as If I'm suffocating.  Despite keeping fit, running 2-3 miles every other day, suggesting that there is no problem with my lungs, I can feel smothered during the day if I'm triggered.

I'm at my wit's end to identify a cause for my feeling cr@p.  All I'm left with is being stuck with it, my brain somehow being damaged or malformed and beyond the capabilities of modern medicine.  It's making life barely worth living (there's no chance that I'll give up, so don't be concerned).

Has anyone got something that they can help me with, if only to let me know that I'm not alone?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad
(12-01-2019, 11:48 AM)Chequebook Wrote: I'm struggling despite using a Resmed Air Curve 10 for for mainly Central sleep apnea and obtaining AHIs of well under 5, usually under 1.

I'm a man just turned 60.  Throughout adulthood I've snored and never felt I got a good nights sleep. 30 years ago I had a rhinoplasty that helped my snoring a little. My feeling tired during the day was manageable until about 5 years' ago, when I began to feel really tired, began to get severe nose pain, became depressed and had to give up work.  I got rid of the depression and reduced the nose pain but the tiredness continued.  After a limited home sleep study I was given a CPAP machine that helped, only for the benefit to tail off.  I began to develop restless legs syndrome, for which I take Pramipexole/Mirapex with some degree of success, and felt increasingly cr@p during the day.  A full sleep study showed central sleep apneas with periodic limb movements and I was upgraded to the Aircurve 10.

I generally have no problem falling asleep and get an unbroken night's sleep but I still feel cr@p and sleepy during the day, a bit like having a hangover without the headaches (and the fun the night before).  Dozing appears to make no difference.  Blood tests show blood sugar at the high end of normal but not much else.  Taking vitamin supplements makes no difference.  I also have periods of chronic dry coughing that I put down to the Aircurve use.

If I doze on my back without the Aircurve I wake up with a start feeling as If I'm suffocating.  Despite keeping fit, running 2-3 miles every other day, suggesting that there is no problem with my lungs, I can feel smothered during the day if I'm triggered.

I'm at my wit's end to identify a cause for my feeling cr@p.  All I'm left with is being stuck with it, my brain somehow being damaged or malformed and beyond the capabilities of modern medicine.  It's making life barely worth living (there's no chance that I'll give up, so don't be concerned).

Has anyone got something that they can help me with, if only to let me know that I'm not alone?

I can't help you out with any tips or suggestions, but I can tell you that you are not alone. I can't say that I experience every symptom that you do, but I'm going on 15 months of CPAP use and I'm still waiting to feel better. 

My therapy has been going well and my AHI numbers are well below 5. But, when I wake up, I'm good for about 2-3 hours before I begin to feel like I need a nap. I'm 65, and I suspect that I've had sleep apnea for a good many years, before I was diagnosed with it in August of 2018.

I just recently saw my sleep doc and he said all is good. He listened to my heart and lungs and said no problems. I told him of my disappointment with my therapy and he just said to keep at it. He didn't seem too concerned. 

Hang around here some. There are plenty of members who can and will assist you.
Post Reply Post Reply
lots of things can affect sleep. the obvious one you mentioned is periodic leg movement.

is your aircurve a vauto or an asv? while there are some vauto settings that help ca, only asv is designed to treat it.

don't let the doc punt on you like that. push them. alternatively, do your own thing with help from here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chequebook, go to the OSCAR link at the top of this page and download the free software. Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter will use data from the SD card in your Aircurve 10 machine, and allow us to see the settings, and problems you are having. Links in my signature show how to organize and post charts. It is very likely we can help if we can better ascertain what is going on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files

How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Let's see the OSCAR data so we know what's going on and that'll help define how we can help you. If you're dealing with Central Apnea, we will do our best to help. Oh and identify your exact machine please, it would show in shiny letters on the bottom right corner on the front of your AirCurve.
Dave Sparky DukeNukem

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

Wiki Info for Beginners
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm looking on line one of the side effects of Pramipexole is drowsiness. Did you start feeling more tired after taking the Pramipexole ? It may be you need to look at it and any other medications you are taking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I really appreciate the help and feeling I’m not alone is a boost. 

I’m travelling home (4 hrs total) and will post up the Aircurve’s version later. I’ll download Oscar tomorrow; I’ve been using Sleepyhead. 

The Pramipexole makes little or no difference. I used the machine for a few weeks before I started on it and did try a period off it to see if there was my effect. I do have fewer leg movements but it has little effect on how I feel the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
It's an AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave (adaptive servo-ventilator (ASV) with two modes: ASVAuto and ASV).
Post Reply Post Reply
OK got it, Chequebook. Just like mine. You've got the right tool to take care of centrals, but we'll see what needs tweaked on the chart. I know what this ASV can do, so let's see if we can get it to do what it's supposed to do.
Dave Sparky DukeNukem

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

Wiki Info for Beginners
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have an iron panel done before being put on Mirapex?

My sleep doc says he is having really good results giving his patients with RLS IV iron infusions if their labs show that iron levels are on the lower end of the normal range.

Other issues that can lead to constant tiredness and feeling unwell are hypothyroidism and hypogonadism.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV tntfrahm 61 1,815 9 hours ago
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
Angry Implications of scoring RERAs and Central Hypopneas being OPTIONAL? JoeyWallaby 4 101 Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Last Post: SorryIamNormal
Question Thirteen years of CPAP - now failing again. [Central apnea] tykelmice 38 1,476 12-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Testing sleep apnea using the CPAP machine browns4s 15 362 12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  Waking up feeling short of breath geauxdbl 24 748 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: geauxdbl
Surprised Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea JoeyWallaby 1 140 12-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
Question [Diagnosis] Do you have central sleep apnea? DeepBreathing 19 878 12-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Osiris357

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.