Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad
RE: Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad
(12-01-2019, 11:48 AM)Chequebook Wrote: If I doze on my back without the Aircurve I wake up with a start feeling as If I'm suffocating.

This may be out from left field, but it may not be a central apnea issue, at least not now after your ASV.  Go get a soft cervical collar.

I've been wearing one since 2014.  When I did my ASV titration I told myself I was not going to wear one and let the machine take care of everything and then I will be rid of wearing a cervical collar for good.  I have obstructive and central sleep apnea.  I aced it with 0.0 of any apneas and and AHI of 0.6.  I slept lousy and felt horrible the next day.

First day at home with my ASV I really aced it with over 8 hours of sleep, 0.0 apneas, and an AHI of 0.3.  I felt equally lousy.  The next night I went halfway through the night and said forget this and put my cervical collar back on.  I slept great and have ever since with the collar.

In reading this it occurred to me that you will only get an event if it is 10 seconds long.  I have no data to support having 9 seconds or less events without my collar, but does that one second really matter?  I chalk it up to the super quick response of my machine to head off an event before it becomes one, but it doesn't really stop a sleep disruption.  I have not spent enough time getting into Rescan/OSCAR charts, except for the obvious and I don't know if there are any anomalies to show these sub 10 seconds events.

The reality is the 10 second rule may be just an arbitrary value that is not reflective of the threshold for a sleep disruption.  I don't know how it was established years ago.  It might reflect a medical threshold that the "average" person can absorb, but if you doze on your back and start feeling like you are suffocating, my gut says it is not a central apnea issue.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waking up feeling short of breath geauxdbl 24 683 2 hours ago
Last Post: geauxdbl
Surprised Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea JoeyWallaby 1 54 4 hours ago
Last Post: DeepBreathing
Question [Diagnosis] Do you have central sleep apnea? DeepBreathing 19 827 12-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  Woken by feeling of Suffocation subyroo 8 202 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Playing didgeridoo as adjunctive for sleep apnea/UARS? JoeyWallaby 3 142 11-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV tntfrahm 54 1,615 11-25-2019, 02:03 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Benzodiazepine [Possible affects with Sleep Apnea] mimono 10 239 11-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Beej

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.