Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central and Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Recommendations?
RE: Central and Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Recommendations?
(06-25-2020, 02:58 PM)mesenteria Wrote: This shouldn't be looked at as a crap shoot.  Will I do PAP or will I not do PAP?  Is that a choice at all, or just an orientation to a problem?  For me, if there's an engineered solution, whether chemical or mechanical, to my health problem, I'm going to educate myself and go all-in.  It's what has generated me all my successes so far in my 68 years. 

IOW, it's all in the mind.  If your history is one of involvement, of self-education, of self-reliance, and problem-solving, you'll figure out how to succeed with pretty much any suitable therapy. Just my opinion, but I gotta agree with Sleeprider.

"Will I do PAP or will I not do PAP?  Is that a choice at all, or just an orientation to a problem?"
I believe that it is a choice.
Many people have chosen 'no to PAP'. It doesn't matter what you or I think about 'their'choice.

"For me, if there's an engineered solution, whether chemical or mechanical, to my health problem, I'm going to educate myself and go all-in."
For me, I will educate myself on all solutions that pertain to my health issue and chose the one I feel is the best for me.
There are more treatments for Sleap Apnea than PAP therapy.
Limiting the discussion to PAP is not helpful. Just my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mogy, we do much better than 50% here because we collectively solve the problems that most people quit, and do so much quicker than medical teams do, they typically require an appointment that is how far out?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mogy, if what you and I think about a person's choices here doesn't matter, why are you and I participating in this thread?

A person's choices are heavily influenced by his/her orientation to problem-solving.  Rotter's Locus of Control, derived from his Social Learning Theory (1954), while dated, is a useful tool to illustrate for people how they approach problem-solving and how they are influenced by events, personalities, and other forces around them.  Self-efficacy factors largely in the way we surmount obstacles to success.  Sleeprider understands this, and so do I.

I can't claim expert status for myself on the topic of efficacy in PAP, but I find it hard to accept that fully 50% of people cannot tolerate PAP therapy, or that if one only has mild apnea  one is necessarily less tolerant to prescriptions of PAP (we find here that often it's the prescription and the device administering the therapy that are the mistakes).  Again, THAT is why this forum exists, because people do care, and matter.

Further, your claim that cardio fitness can often undo apnea (I've been a competitive runner all my adult life, but still developed paroxysmal AFib and that came about due to undiagnosed apnea), or that losing 10 % of one's weight will necessarily and reliably reduce AHI by 25%.  Really? I have lost 11 kg since January, but my AHI is essentially unchanged (still considerably less than 1.0 each night).   I'm an N of but 1, granted, but if I am one of those who came here for help, or for enlightenment, or TO HELP, does it not follow that it matters what I think about a person's stated choices, or even about their indecision?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW when I lost the 100 lb from the bariatric surgery, it did cut my AHI in half. That made it about a 38 AHI, so I still need apnea therapy. Data provided is by knowing what my weight loss was when on the scale just before and after doc consults to discuss the BPAP sleep study in mid winter 2017.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mesenteria,
We are getting a bit sidetracked on CavemanDoctor's thread. I'll try to be brief. I may start another thread on these issues.
"Mogy, if what you and I think about a person's choices here doesn't matter, why are you and I participating in this thread?"
I am participating in this thread because CavemanDoctor is looking for information about Sleep Apnea. I feel that info about studies on behavioural changes that we can make that will favourably affect our Sleep Apnea is not addressed/discussed here, so I pop by every once in a while to bring it up. There must be a few people that would be interested it it.
"Again, THAT is why this forum exists, because people do care, and matter."
Of course people do care and matter. That is not what I'm saying.
Ultimately, the choice to decide what to do about Sleep Apnea is an individual's decision. PAP is not for everyone. You chose it. It helps you. I am happy for you. There are many, many people that it doesn't help. Other options exist. And thankfully so.
"or that losing 10 % of one's weight will necessarily and reliably reduce AHI by 25%. Really? I have lost 11 kg since January, but my AHI is essentially unchanged (still considerably less than 1.0 each night).
I didn't say it will "necessarily and reliability reduce AHI by 25%". I said "generally".
From this study's Results:
"Results: Relative to stable weight, a 10% weight gain predicted an approximate 32% (95% confidence interval [CI], 20%-45%) increase in the AHI. A 10% weight loss predicted a 26% (95% CI, 18%-34%) decrease in the AHI."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11122588/

There are many, many more such studies.
I believe you are referring to your AHI of under 1 is a 'Treated' AHI.
This study and I are referring to untreated AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.