Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea and oxygen
Central apnea and oxygen
My central's was 16/hour before cpap elite most nights from 3-5 - 5.5/hour with cpap. I read so much how oxygen helps so i got my hands on a generator to test myself so first night i set it 2L, central was 1.1/hour AHI of 1.8 lowest ever so 3 times better then my best results, Night 2 I upped it to 3L central was .5/hour AHI of .9 again best ever. I see good result, question is me adding oxygen ok or anyone have any advise about using oxygen. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea and oxygen
hi jake: i did a google and came up with this

Reversal of central sleep apnea with oxygen.
Franklin KA, Eriksson P, Sahlin C, Lundgren R.
SourceDepartment of Pulmonary Medicine and Allergology, University Hospital, Umeå, Sweden.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of oxygen on apneas and sleep quality in patients with frequent central apneas during sleep.

DESIGN/SUBJECTS: Prospective intervention study of 20 consecutive patients with predominant central apnea identified from 570 patients referred for suspected sleep apnea syndrome. Sixteen patients had congestive heart failure and seven of them had a previous stroke. Three of the remaining four patients without heart failure had experienced a previous stroke, and one was being treated with morphine.

SETTING: The Department of Pulmonary Medicine at Umeå (Sweden) University Hospital.

INTERVENTIONS: The patients were investigated for one night receiving nasal oxygen and one night without it.

MEASUREMENTS: Overnight polysomnography with transcutaneous PCO2 and arterial blood gases.

RESULTS: Central apneas occurred during Cheyne-Stokes respiration in 18 of 20 patients and two patients had idiopathic central apneas. Without oxygen, the median number of all central apneas and hypopneas was 33.5 (range, 8.0 to 52.0) per hour of sleep. These episodes decreased to 5.0 (range, 0.0 to 31.0)(p < 0.01) during oxygen therapy. In 17 of 20 patients, the frequency of central apneas was reduced by more than 50%. Central apneas were reduced by oxygen irrespective of the presence or absence of heart failure or Cheyne-Stokes respiration. The arousal frequency was reduced during oxygen treatment. Daytime sleepiness, difficulty falling asleep, snoring, and self-scored awakenings were reduced in seven patients who were given nocturnal oxygen at home. Obstructive and mixed apneas were unaffected by oxygen.

CONCLUSIONS: Oxygen effectively reduces central sleep apnea in eucapnic patients.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks kinda mirrors my results ...I am part of the 1% that has no reason to be having centrals ie no stokes or heart attack or brain damage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jake919, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your questions but hang in there, keep checking back into the forum for more suggestions. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 Elite is a CPAP machine not designed to treat central sleep apnea
Its prescribed to people with simple sleep apnea
We cannot be sure what the machine call central apnea ..It doesn't know the stage of sleep or if asleep or awake
I suggest see your doctor about using O2

Post Reply Post Reply
What zonk said. If you have Central Sleep apnea as your diagnosis, your treatment would be much better with a variable PAP. The S9 version is the Adapt SV.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2012, 11:31 AM)jake919 Wrote: Thanks kinda mirrors my results ...I am part of the 1% that has no reason to be having centrals ie no stokes or heart attack or brain damage.

Hey Jake,
from what I have found trying to understand my own central sleep apnea it is that it typically associated with neck trauma (arthritis included) or anything impacting the neck or brain. I don't know if that is you or not.
I myself am struggling to work with this machine. I had two sleep studies recently (and one 5 years ago diagnosing me with OSA - I gave up until it got this bad and started over). during those my oxygen dropped to 75%. I know thats low but I don't know how alarming that is necessarily. My equip pulm guy said if I was on medicare oxygen would have been ordered (I guess that means my body doesn't require oxygen?! lol). I got on here to try and see if anyone had any tips because I'm struggling very hard and have 90 days to become 70% compliant or insurance no longer pays.
Low and behold your question was first, and it makes logical sense to me. So my question is oxygen has helped you dramatically with no other changes in your treatment when you added it? did you simply asked the supplier or did you go through your doctor? And did they give you any push back?
I know you got on here to ask a question and not be questioned but like I said... dying for something, any improvement really. My face hurts when I wake up and its kind of scary. I am only 38 years old and in respectable shape so this whole thing kind of sucks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:during those my oxygen dropped to 75%. I know thats low but I don't know how alarming that is necessarily

Normal blood oxygen (blood saturation) levels are 97% and higher.

At 75%, that means your body's cells are only getting 75% of the oxygen they need.

So, yeah, it should be alarming.

However, you are using the machine and trying. That's the hardest part.

You may want to contact the DME and/or your insurance company to ask about an extension. With your condition, and with how hard an ASV can be to get used to, it's not fair to ask you to get only 90 days to comply.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2012, 01:42 PM)zonk Wrote: The S9 Elite is a CPAP machine not designed to treat central sleep apnea
Its prescribed to people with simple sleep apnea
We cannot be sure what the machine call central apnea ..It doesn't know the stage of sleep or if asleep or awake
I suggest see your doctor about using O2

I agree im very new 3 weeks on cpap my 1st test i had 9 Obstructive 96 centrals ahi 36.7 with the elite from the info from it 3 or 4 obstructive 15 - 20 centrals ahi under 5 all but 2 nights basic cpap has helped in some people with centrals i guess im one of them too, i understand the elite numbers are not 100%. I do know its working i have not took a nap in 3 weeks and feel 100% better so the number is lower. I just tried oxygen i do wear a record meter for oxygen at night check checking it my level was bad without cpap bad enough to be put on oxygen but with cpap it stays just good enough to not have it. So im trying it on my own and the number are dropping more.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to keep in mind: Stop changing things.

You just got the machine. Use it for no less than 10-14 days before you start changing the machine itself.

You want to see trends. A night or two of data is useless. All it says is what you did THAT night. And your sleep that night will not be anything like any other night.

Unless there are health issues with it, leave it alone.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.