Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea help !
Central apnea help !

Sleep study said my pressure was 7. My doctor ordered an apap with 7-10cm. I was still having OA's so I was able to up the pressure to 9.6 - 12.0 cm with a 95% of 11.6. I have a Resmed S9 Autoset. I have been having 3 to 8 CA's a night for 10 to 15 seconds. I am using the Resmed Quattro FFM. My AHI is 0.3 to 1.2 and I hardly ever have OA or HI so most are CA. Is CO build up in this mask causing my CA ? Is there any thing I can do about the CA ? When I had my sleep test done they told me I showed NO CA's !! Even though my 95% is 11.6 do you think my pressure might be too high ? Please help, all advice is welcome !!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea help !
Hi Dino,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 01:51 PM)Dino Wrote: Sleep study said my pressure was 7. My doctor ordered an apap with 7-10cm. I was still having OA's so I was able to up the pressure to 9.6 - 12.0 cm with a 95% of 11.6. I have a Resmed S9 Autoset. I have been having 3 to 8 CA's a night for 10 to 15 seconds. I am using the Resmed Quattro FFM. My AHI is 0.3 to 1.2 and I hardly ever have OA or HI so most are CA. Is CO build up in this mask causing my CA ? Is there any thing I can do about the CA ? When I had my sleep test done they told me I showed NO CA's !! Even though my 95% is 11.6 do you think my pressure might be too high ? Please help, all advice is welcome !!

how long have you been using your machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 02:18 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 01:51 PM)Dino Wrote: Sleep study said my pressure was 7. My doctor ordered an apap with 7-10cm. I was still having OA's so I was able to up the pressure to 9.6 - 12.0 cm with a 95% of 11.6. I have a Resmed S9 Autoset. I have been having 3 to 8 CA's a night for 10 to 15 seconds. I am using the Resmed Quattro FFM. My AHI is 0.3 to 1.2 and I hardly ever have OA or HI so most are CA. Is CO build up in this mask causing my CA ? Is there any thing I can do about the CA ? When I had my sleep test done they told me I showed NO CA's !! Even though my 95% is 11.6 do you think my pressure might be too high ? Please help, all advice is welcome !!

I have had the S9 autoset for 2weeks but first started using apap 7months ago. My first apap was a Resmed S8 autoset II
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 02:24 PM)Dino Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 02:18 PM)me50 Wrote:

I have had the S9 autoset for 2weeks but first started using apap 7months ago. My first apap was a Resmed S8 autoset II

I have been using a vpap auto for 2 weeks and I have centrals too. Not that many and not every night. I have been using one machine or another for 3 years. I think it is adjusting to a new machine. I wouldn't be overly concerned about them this early in the use of the new machine. That is just my opinion. I am sure others will have more to offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think its a big jump increase from 7/10 to 9.6/12, might just need to increase the minimum a notch or even turn EPR off to deal with few obstructive events which is easier to deal with than few central events. but in any event ... AHI 5 or below is normal while on the therapy

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with zonk. If your AHI is 5 or below, then I would leave your pressure where it initially was and give yourself time to adjust to the way this new machine works.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP pressure was changed in September. My oldest CPAP machine, s8, did not flag central apneas. having a 95% of 11.6 I think I do not have an option of lowering my higher pressure as that is what is required for my obstructive apnea. I could bump up the lower pressure but I like having a lower pressure because I have less mask leaks. I'm just wondering how normal is it for everybody to have 3 to 8 Central Apneas every night, even though they are not on therapy or who does not have a diagnosis of sleep apnea. With an AHI of less than 5, like you said, it shouldn't be a concern. I just find it strange that I stop breathing 3 to 8 times a night with no obstruction and it's never happened before that I know of. Thanks for your input any other insights would be greatly appreciative.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, if I understand you correctly, I could turn the EPR off and lower the pressure overall? My EPR is set it to now it does give me some relief from air in my stomach. But if I turn it completely off and lower the over all pressure maybe my 95 percentile will not be 11.6 but lower ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 05:18 PM)Dino Wrote: Zonk, if I understand you correctly, I could turn the EPR off and lower the pressure overall? My EPR is set it to now it does give me some relief from air in my stomach. But if I turn it completely off and lower the over all pressure maybe my 95 percentile will not be 11.6 but lower ?

Your AHI is great! Very very few people even after years of use have 0.0 AHI. When you start on CPAP often the obstructives and hyponeas will be much less only to be replaced with centrals. A few centrals when dropping off to sleep and waking up in the morning are normal. A mask leak can appear as a central. Coughing or breathing in an unusual pattern may be interpreted by the machine as a central. Too much pressure can cause centrals as well.
With AHIs like yours I would just relax and get used to everything and work on avoiding leaks and playing with your mask too much. Having a regular bedtime and routine that works for you can make your results more consistent. The biggest cause of centrals in newbies (myself included) is flipping masks or going from one mask to another without getting used to one mask. I can get a nice rhythm of 0.0 -0.5 AHI days and then start messing with a good thing by trying a new mask or going back to an old one. Then I might see a whole bunch of centrals right at the time I was messing with my mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 608 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,408 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 214 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.