Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea question
Central apnea question
Hi Everyone,

I want to learn more about everyones experience with Central apnea. I am 33 years old and I have developed severe central apnea out of no where I would guess at age of 25. I have only found out about apnea 3 years ago so started treatment and thanks to this forum fought for an ASV. Fast forward to today. I went to a neurology institute and they were surprised that Central apnea would come to me at a young age (I don't know how common this is) However, they suggested digging deeper with a MRI. 

My question to you all, has anyone tried to understand or go further with Central apnea than getting bipap\ASV? They say common things to cause centrals are strokes or brain tumors etc. Is it worth it to do an MRI to know more, has anyone done so for this purpose? I guess I am wondering if there is a step beyond ASV that can hopefully heal centrals

Thank you for reading!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea question
Majority on here with central apnea are typical cases (older, comorbidities, medication induced or treatment emergent). Might be the odd case you can get an opinion from though.

If I was in your shoes I would take doctors up on the MRI in the chance it finds something that can be treated or reversed. I would be even more willing to do so if I had any other unexplained symptoms (especially neurological symptoms).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea question
With all the other illnesses and corrective medications I have, I've not considered why I have Centrals. I would rather focus on treatment.

I have possibly had untreated CA for 10 or more years before an Apnea diagnosis in 2015 lead me to a second diagnostic test in 17 for BPAP which revealed the high CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 568 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.