Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea questions
RE: Central apnea questions
(01-02-2015, 09:16 AM)old82 Wrote: SGEARHART... I have my ramp set at only 5 minutes so can't be of help about the recording of ca's during ramp.
Old82

Hi Old82,

Your machine has an Auto Ramp mode wherein it stays at the Ramp Start Pressure until you fall asleep, before starting to Ramp up the pressure. If you change to Auto Ramp mode, it may eliminate any false CA's which occur before you fall asleep.

If you use ResScan to create several full sleep reports for your doctor, for several nights when your CA Index (average number of central apneas per hour of therapy, while asleep) was over 5.0 and outnumbers your Obstructive Apnea index, I think you may be approved for an ASV titration and an ASV machine.

The reports should include a zoomed-in section of 30 minutes or 10 minutes showing a cluster of central apneas, which might represent Cheyne-Stokes Respiration.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea questions
(01-04-2015, 06:45 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 09:16 AM)old82 Wrote: SGEARHART... I have my ramp set at only 5 minutes so can't be of help about the recording of ca's during ramp.
Old82

Hi Old82,

Your machine has an Auto Ramp mode wherein it stays at the Ramp Start Pressure until you fall asleep, before starting to Ramp up the pressure. If you change to Auto Ramp mode, it may eliminate any false CA's which occur before you fall asleep.

If you use ResScan and create several full sleep reports, for several nights when your CA Index (average number of central apneas per hour of therapy, while asleep) was over 5.0 and outnumbers your Obstructive Apnea index, I think you may be approved for an ASV titration and an ASV machine.

The reports should include a zoomed-in section of 30 minutes or 10 minutes showing a cluster of central apneas, which might represent Cheyne-Stokes Respiration.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your informative and specific recommendation Vaughn. I've learned so much from this forum in the 4 months I've been on therapy. These apneas are such a complicated condition to deal with...especially when you have to rely on machines with so many quirks that can lead you to believe you're doing either well or not so well depending on how you interpret the data.
I have found the sleep doctors don't have the time nor the inclination to spend the time with a patient to dissect the therapy data and recommend changes as long as the data is within reasonable parameters. These forums are a god sent.
Old82
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.