Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apneas
RE: Central apneas
(07-09-2014, 01:01 AM)chd3143 Wrote: I still wake up two or three times a night and begin deep breathing while entering into what feels like a sort of panic attack. I never seem to see those arousals associated with any kind of OA....

Chd, what continues to bother me about this is I remember doing that in my past life (way previous to cpap). What I don't remember is how come. But it was not actually caused by sleep apnea.

I remember having an echo cardiogram to rule out heart issues causing it... Actually that might be the key in that they started me on a blood pressure and fluid reducer thingy at that time. Darned if I know, but I am glad I don't do it anymore.

Anyhow, I still think this is a finding that you should discuss with your doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 01:01 AM)chd3143 Wrote: Anyway, the central apneas seem to be around 5 o 6 seconds. Again, they don't show up very often, so I was more curious than anything else.

This is nothing more than a curiosity, really. The machine has a flow meter and uses the readings from that meter to figure out when you're breathing out, in, out, in ...

You establish a pattern that it recognizes and then when you deviate from that pattern it may score it as an event. Officially you have to stop breathing for at least 10 seconds to score an apnea. It's no big deal and happens to everyone all the time.

When it happens too often and too much you get diagnosed with the ailment called sleep apnea.

Quote:I still wake up two or three times a night and begin deep breathing while entering into what feels like a sort of panic attack. I never seem to see those arousals associated with any kind of OA. I have a few seconds of really crazy breathing then I wake up usually panicky and uncomfortable for 15 or so minutes. I'm just trying to track down clues while losing weight and changing my diet. More than anything I'm just glad to see the OAs virtually gone now that I'm using consistent therapy. Thanks so much for the input.

You can look for Flow Limitation, which is a lessening of the breathing, not severe enough to be scored as an apnea or even a hypopnea. Your body may be interpreting this as a warning that an apnea is about to happen so it freaks out, shoots you with some adrenaline, and wakes you up.

Your body has had to do this many many times per night, every night. For years or even decades.

Once it figures out that it doesn't need to do this any more it'll stop.

It just takes time.

If it doesn't stop, or if you're concerned, discuss it with your doctor. All I can tell you for sure is that this same thing happens to lots of us.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip Archangle. I updated my profile. Restart Pro Model 460P.
Geez spellcheck. Remstar
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 07:02 PM)robysue Wrote: When I intentionally hold my breath after an exhale for 10+ seconds, my machine typically scores an OA. But others who do that experiment say their machine scores a CA.

Depends on how you hold your breath Wink If you hold it by "blocking off" your airway (i.e. you can try to exhale and nothing will come out) vs. simply stopping your diaphragm or exhaling very, very slowly (i.e. if you tried to exhale it would immediately come out) the machine will record a OA or CA respectively as that's what you're effectively simulating.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 05:00 PM)chd3143 Wrote: Thanks for the tip Archangle. I updated my profile. Restart Pro Model 460P.
Geez spellcheck. Remstar

*lol* you also don't have a resmed humidifier, just put 'prs1 60s' by it and people will know Smile

trust me, I've got both resmed s9 machines and a remstar s60, and they will NOT fit together!!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I had about (I am not on the PC with the data) 4 or 5 CAs scored at (10 or so with SH) last night and no other events; only CAs - my leaks were zero. I like to think as being quite good as they are not obstructive apneas? Is this a flawed assumption?
Post Reply Post Reply
what is a 'Machine: ResMed Hire' ?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8#pid75378
Post Reply Post Reply
Sky, CA's aren't really related to what kind of machine you have. But "4 or 5" is a little bit vague of a question. Can you tell us what your overall AHI was for last night? I'd guess it was pretty low. So "4 or 5" CA's could easily be explained by still getting used to the settings, or any number of things. I believe you lowered your pressure a little recently? How long ago was that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 03:19 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I had about (I am not on the PC with the data) 4 or 5 CAs scored at (10 or so with SH) last night and no other events; only CAs - my leaks were zero. I like to think as being quite good as they are not obstructive apneas? Is this a flawed assumption?

It's not possible to tell if an apnea is truly a central apnea or an obstructive apnea with just a CPAP machine. But they do make an attempt at that determination.

The thing is, it doesn't matter in this case mostly because you have so few and they're so short in duration. All you have to do is stop breathing for 10 seconds to score one. That happens to everybody every day whether we're asleep or awake.

It's like someone at a public works office for a large city in charge of the water supply worrying about a few drops.

It's totally insignificant.

When someone scores as few apneas as you have it's time to celebrate. Enjoy the time you spend while you're awake and forget about what's happening when you're asleep. After all, that's the reason we have CPAP therapy. Wink

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried some deep slow breathing just before I got up this morning and was scores a central when I was doing that. When I look at the mask pressure/flow I saw the graph is different to the other centrals. Also when I look at the mask pressure/flow graphs for a central and obstructive, they look identical.

I suppose the worst thing is that I have the software and am looking at the figures....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 850 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 302 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.