Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apneas
RE: Central apneas
(07-13-2014, 12:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I do not eat with my mask on let alone with the machine connected and turned on. Swallowing when you are not eating is a little less complicated and somewhat quicker.

Obviously, you don't have as much dry mouth and goo to deal with in your mouth, throat, and nose while sleeping as many of us do.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I have mild dry mouth every morning. I have had very severe dry mouth. So severe that it was actually painful. I would not make light of dry mouth.

When you were talking about swallowing "goo" before, I thought you were talking about masticated food so I thought you were talking about the process of swallowing while you were eating. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 11:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually I have mild dry mouth every morning. I have had very severe dry mouth. So severe that it was actually painful. I would not make light of dry mouth.

at least you didn't find a small cactus growing on your tongue!!!! [Image: laugh-a-lot.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 03:13 PM)diamaunt Wrote: yeah, you hear some people talking about 'pressing the tongue to the roof of your mouth to create a seal', and other bits...

doesn't work for me, I can open my mouth and stick my tongue all the way out and no air comes out.

I can do that, too. Now. It took me a while to train myself. And of course I can do that and let the air hiss out instead.

Quote:I can also 'switch things' and breath in and out through my mouth with the cpap on my nose.

Amazing how we can operate those "valves". We train ourselves to be able to do this, and I think our ability to do that is part of what makes it possible for us to adapt so well to CPAP therapy.

That thing about holding the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth is I think a training exercise. I have no idea how that type of training allows us to do what we do when we're asleep, but somehow it carries over.

Some people need a chin strap only as a training device, and can get rid of it after awhile. I thought I was one of those people but it turns out I was wrong. I need it or eventually I'll start mouth-leaking. Heck, I even do it with the chin strap on, but thankfully it's minimal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man, I wish I could train myself to work without a chin strap, but no go.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 11:16 PM)diamaunt Wrote: at least you didn't find a small cactus growing on your tongue!!!! [Image: laugh-a-lot.gif]

Must have been that darned cactus that made it hurt so much!! Too-funny

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,573 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,081 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.