Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central occurences
Central occurences
I've gotten rid of all obstructive incidents for days now but every
night I still get 2 or 3 centrals of about 10-13 seconds. Is there
anything that can or should be done with these?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central occurences
I really don't know much about it but I do know that the S9 autoset can detect the difference between a central and an obstructive apnea and will not increase pressure for a central apnea which could make it worse.
High pressures can trigger central apneas from what I can understand.
I would check with your doctor if you are concerned. But if your AHI is under 5 you are probably okay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 05:21 PM)GreyParrot Wrote: I've gotten rid of all obstructive incidents for days now but every
night I still get 2 or 3 centrals of about 10-13 seconds. Is there
anything that can or should be done with these?

Two or three short centrals a night is probably nothing to be concerned about. They may have been caused by the CPAP pressure, in which case they will likely resolve themselves over a few weeks or months. Alternatively they might be occurring spontaneously, especially in the transition in / out of sleep. In either case, I wouldn't worry.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are all sort of maybe, would we worry about such small number of events?
we don,t know if there are pressure induced or awake events but your AHI is less than 1, anything at or below 5 considered good result
Keep in mind, the lower AHI is the better but its not expected or feasible to have zero AHI every night, some apnea events will slip through even with the most optimized treatment. Even with no apnea scored , flow limitation are not apnea events (more like mini apnea) but can disturb your sleep as much or more than an apnea if persist during the night

Experiment with EPR ... off, level 1, level 2, level 3, and see the outcome
Lowering pressure somewhat may help, its a compromise between couples of obstructive or couples of central
What are your leak numbers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Just two or three a night? Nope, don't worry about them.

Probably we all have them, even folks without sleep apnea. Dreams, rolling over, who knows.

As long as the AHI stays below 5 and you are feeling good, don't worry about them.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, don't worry about such a low number of central apneas Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I get heavy fog and trouble thinking with my central apnea. so if I increase the epap to like 8-12cm on the phillips asv that will help? I think the auto setting is driving my breathing too hard, but maybe I have more energy on it at least.
what should my max ipap be 18cm or 25cm?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2013, 06:11 AM)physicsstudent13 Wrote: I get heavy fog and trouble thinking with my central apnea. so if I increase the epap to like 8-12cm on the phillips asv that will help? I think the auto setting is driving my breathing too hard, but maybe I have more energy on it at least.
what should my max ipap be 18cm or 25cm?

You should talk with your doctor about your concerns.

EDIT: We don't know what medication you take, we don't know your medical history like your doctor does so your concerns should first be discussed with your doctor to see if there is something else causing your issues.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,523 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 862 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 271 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,616 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.