Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central's [and exhale relief connection?]
Central's [and exhale relief connection?]
Hello all,

I was just reviewing some of my old data today and had a question about central apnea. What is the connection with Aflex/EPR or as I think many call it pressure support and central apnea? The use of the aforementioned seems to generate central Apnea for me that clears completely when turned off. The central count would be between .5 - 1 per hour. I'm not using any at the moment I'm just interested in the dynamics.

When using Aflex I never have Obstructive events only central and hypopnea. Without Aflex I never have central events only Obstructive and hypopnea. I feel better without Aflex even though the Obstructive index and AHI are higher. Still in the experiment phase.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central's
(01-09-2018, 01:00 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: Hello all,

I was just reviewing some of my old data today and had a question about central apnea. What is the connection with Aflex/EPR or as I think many call it pressure support and central apnea? The use of the aforementioned seems to generate central Apnea for me that clears completely when turned off. The central count would be between .5 - 1 per hour. I'm not using any at the moment I'm just interested in the dynamics.

When using Aflex I never have Obstructive events only central and hypopnea. Without Aflex I never have central events only Obstructive and hypopnea. I feel better without Aflex even though the Obstructive index and AHI are higher. Still in the experiment phase.

GuppyDRV

I have the same problem and my Dr.. wants me to try a ASV machine. Need another sleep test though I guess for insurance reasons .
Post Reply Post Reply
Put simply, because I'm basically pretty simple, pressure support can increase the ventilation of the lungs which reduces CO2 in the blood. This in turn, increases pH from carbonic acid, and that is what affects the respiratory drive. The respiratory system is designed to eliminate CO2, and when a respiratory ventilator helps with that function, it sometimes increases central apnea. The side-effect of central apnea with CPAP pressure, or especially CPAP with Pressure Support/EPR, is a very individual reaction. So some people develop the complication with CPAP alone, and others with EPR or Flex, and others never have a problem at all.

http://mypages.valdosta.edu/dodrobin/345...pDrive.htm
http://www.articles.complexchild.com/apr.../00197.pdf
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1....6.pc1201a

How deep do you want to go into this? The rabbit hole is deep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider I wish I knew what you are talking about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2018, 04:41 PM)jerry1967 Wrote: Sleeprider I wish I knew what you are talking about.

Dielaughing   Yeah it's deep and it's dark.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2018, 04:45 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 04:41 PM)jerry1967 Wrote: Sleeprider I wish I knew what you are talking about.

Dielaughing   Yeah it's deep and it's dark.

to me it is
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to shed some light. When the difference between inhale and exhale pressure is greater, there is usually more volume of air exchanged in the lungs. This flushes the CO2. CO2 is what creates the respiratory drive. When you reduce CO2 by increasing EPR or pressure support, it is more likely that you will experience central apnea events, simply because your body does not generate the signal to breathe until CO2 rises.

How are we doing? I'm running low on simple.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
jerry1967, I wasn't laughing at you I was laughing with you. The first link Sleeprider posted I looked up and I couldn't spell half the words.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP devices apply pressure, and therefore pack more oxygen-rich air into the lungs. This throws off the natural balance of respiration as monitored by your brain. It interferes, or delays, the naturally occurring signal to inhale because the carbon dioxide level has been thrown off balance from what your brain is expecting. Therefore, your brain interprets, incorrectly, that breathing isn't needed yet.

This balance in breathing, BTW, is regained by most on CPAP, but not in everyone. Some can't get that restored on their own. I believe this is where devices like an ASV machine steps in to assist in restoring that balance to the respiration process.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At 1 CA an hour, I wouldn't worry either way. Use what is comfortable. You may need to raise the min pressure for OA and H. You could get some charts up to get some opinions on.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.