Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night sweats and anxiety
Sad 
Night sweats and anxiety
Hi guys, new user from Sweden here.

Not sure why I'm writing here... correction, I know why, I'm just not sure anyone can help me. 

I've had my CPAP (ResMed S9) since Dec 2014, and I use a full face mask.
I've been fighting anxiety and what my wife and I think is PTSD for all of my adult life.
More or less every night I rip my CPAP mask off in the middle of the night, mostly because I imgine I've swallowed something I shouldn't have, like too many antidepressants, or even spiders. Oh, I'm a mouth breather btw.
But the last 2-3 weeks I've almost every night woken up, gasping for air and with the most terrible night sweats you can imagine. I'm soaked as if someone threw a tub of water all over me. I can't remember if I've ever experienced anything like this while using CPAP before, at least not for such a long period of time.

I'm afraid that there's something wrong with me, like some f***ed up cancer or something. Oh, forgot to mention I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, even though I haven't had any issues with it for the past 10-12 years, but it's slowly creeping back to me.

I've sent a message to my local hospital ward from with I have obtained my CPAP, to see if there's anything they can do to help me.

It doesn't help that we're in a once in a lifetime pandemic, and I've isiolated myself for more or less a year.

Any words of wisdom? Or perhaps you have been in a similar situations with similar problems?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night sweats and anxiety
Welcome dannyboyswe,

I was wondering if you take any antidepressants. Your anxiety is something you might want to talk to your family physician about.

The lockdowns can get to us. I found I had to put more rigor into my days. So I have set limits on how long I can do certain activities and set goals for my day, one of which is exercising. Even sleep times are more regulated. It has helped me.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and a few things that may be worth considering. It's possible your older PAP isn't what it used to be for therapy. Maybe it's time to look into a new ResMed 10 if the old one is over 5 years and/or has over 15,000 hours. Some may last a lot longer than this but maybe yours isn't up to what it should be.

Second is we've got a great free report tool called OSCAR that'll show us how well the therapy is doing for you. Maybe settings need edited . As time passes this is very possible. You'll need an SD card in the PAP to capture the data and will need to lock the SD card when you're putting it in your PC.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, dannyboy. I'd like to second Dave's suggestion about getting a new machine. It's probably time. What you want, to give it its full name, is a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (ideally the For Her version, which has an extra option for settings).

Here is information about night sweats from a trusted web site:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/nigh...m-20050768

You will see that while night sweats can be associated with some serious medical problems, sleep apnea is a possible cause as well. This, plus your description of your nightmares, makes me wonder whether you are not getting adequate treatment of your apnea, either because your machine is wearing out or because you need adjustments to your settings.

So I echo Dave on recommending Oscar. If you post a chart, the experts here can probably see quite readily what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 717 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 400 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 721 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  More tired, more irritability/anxiety after cpap use Itsmedood 3 602 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Itsmedood
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.