Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central sleep apnea periodic breathing
RE: Central sleep apnea periodic breathing
(07-08-2015, 04:12 PM)richb Wrote: Doc wants to rule out a bad machine producing my CAs. I will be getting a loaner machine for a week or so. I already know that if the memory card is out of the machine for a night only a bare minimum of data can be saved. In fact when I left the card out one night the machine said I had an AHI under 5 since no CAs could be recorded. I have already used my machine for more than 30 days straight so I am in compliance insurance wise. My plan is to use my own memory card and create a new profile on Sleepyhead. I can then see how my CAs respond to lower pressure. I plan to change the machine back to Bi-Pap and use an EPAP of 5 and IPAP of 9 to start with. These are the starting numbers for my ramp up at current settings. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Lowering my PS from 4 to 2 reduced my CAs fairly dramatically.

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
I am getting a new ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto to replace the one that I have now. My present machine has already been de-listed from the ResMed website. Tonight I plan to insert a newly formatted SD Card to collect the data from the machine. I plan to use my beginning ramp up settings of EPAP 5 and IPAP 9 as the pressure settings using Bi-PAP. No ramp up since these are the beginning ramp up settings. I hope to see a reduction in CAs. My hope is that I will see more normal breathing or at least more periodic breathing without apnea, I have an issue with HBP first thing in the AM and I even see a significant rise even after a 1 hour nap. I went for my sleep study because of the morning HBP and my wife's reporting that I seem to forget to breathe at night. I do have a periodic breathing issue even without CPAP. I may be a candidate for medication to control my periodic breathing CA issues. If I can reduce CAs while on the machine I can use the machine as a diagnostic tool to regulate medication.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, so much for lowering the pressure. Last night I had an AHI of 43. That is 7 higher than my worst number on APAP at higher pressures. My AHI during my sleep study was 44. It appears that the machine has some beneficial effect. It also shows that my CAs are not the result of higher machine pressures. I still cannot rule out that any pressure is worse than no pressure. Details: I set the machine to EPAP of 5 and IPAP of 9. No ramp up. Not sure what to try next. I have another day or so before my new machine arrives. Right now my present machine is in airplane mode with a different SD card. Any suggestions?
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 07:04 AM)richb Wrote: Well, so much for lowering the pressure. Last night I had an AHI of 43. That is 7 higher than my worst number on APAP at higher pressures. My AHI during my sleep study was 44. It appears that the machine has some beneficial effect. It also shows that my CAs are not the result of higher machine pressures. I still cannot rule out that any pressure is worse than no pressure. Details: I set the machine to EPAP of 5 and IPAP of 9. No ramp up. Not sure what to try next. I have another day or so before my new machine arrives. Right now my present machine is in airplane mode with a different SD card. Any suggestions?

There is some theory that the pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP can cause CO2 washout. Tonight I am going to try straight CPAP of 9. May use a short ramp up.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Your solution is the ASV machine, I assume you are having delivered. There is not much you can do with the current equipment to deal with CA. I"m a little confused, it sounds like you are currently using an Aircurve Vauto, and are replacing it with the same. Why are you not getting the Aircurve 10 ASV or ST? Without a backup rate, I don't see how the CA are supposed to be resolved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 10:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your solution is the ASV machine, I assume you are having delivered. There is not much you can do with the current equipment to deal with CA. I"m a little confused, it sounds like you are currently using an Aircurve Vauto, and are replacing it with the same. Why are you not getting the Aircurve 10 ASV or ST? Without a backup rate, I don't see how the CA are supposed to be resolved.

Doc isn't ready to go there yet. My guess is that I will end up with an ASV machine, medication or both. He still wants to rule out a faulty machine. I think my original sleep study was misread.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, certainly wish you best of luck, but trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome seems like a waste of time to me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 10:58 AM)richb Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 10:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your solution is the ASV machine, I assume you are having delivered. There is not much you can do with the current equipment to deal with CA. I"m a little confused, it sounds like you are currently using an Aircurve Vauto, and are replacing it with the same. Why are you not getting the Aircurve 10 ASV or ST? Without a backup rate, I don't see how the CA are supposed to be resolved.

Doc isn't ready to go there yet. My guess is that I will end up with an ASV machine, medication or both. He still wants to rule out a faulty machine. I think my original sleep study was misread.

I'd agree with Sleeprider, who knows more than I.

Also, it's a 'long shot' that your study was misread AND your machine is faulty. Chances are 'pretty slim' for those two things happening.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

Also, it's a 'long shot' that your study was misread AND your machine is faulty. Chances are 'pretty slim' for those two things happening.
[/quote]

I seriously doubt that the machine is faulty. I will find out in a couple of days.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 12:44 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 10:58 AM)richb Wrote:

(07-10-2015, 02:32 PM)richb Wrote: I seriously doubt that the machine is faulty. I will find out in a couple of days.

Rich

So that may only leave your sleep study in question, but if your sleep study conformed to review procedures, the RAW data was reviewed by three professionals- your sleep technologist, a supervisory sleep technologist, and by a board-certified sleep doctor who supposedly writes a separate report with doc's findings.

p.s. Please use the 'Reply with Quote' button when doing so, rich.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,172 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.