Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central sleep apnea periodic breathing
RE: Central sleep apnea periodic breathing
(07-10-2015, 02:48 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 12:44 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 10:58 AM)richb Wrote: Doc isn't ready to go there yet. My guess is that I will end up with an ASV machine, medication or both. He still wants to rule out a faulty machine. I think my original sleep study was misread.

I'd agree with Sleeprider, who knows more than I.

Also, it's a 'long shot' that your study was misread AND your machine is faulty. Chances are 'pretty slim' for those two things happening.

(07-10-2015, 02:32 PM)richb Wrote: I seriously doubt that the machine is faulty. I will find out in a couple of days.

Rich

So that may only leave your sleep study in question, but if your sleep study conformed to review procedures, the RAW data was reviewed by three professionals- your sleep technologist, a supervisory sleep technologist, and by a board-certified sleep doctor who supposedly writes a separate report with doc's findings.

p.s. Please use the 'Reply with Quote' button when doing so, rich.

I don't think they looked at the waveforms very well.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 05:16 PM)richb Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 02:48 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 12:44 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: I'd agree with Sleeprider, who knows more than I.

Also, it's a 'long shot' that your study was misread AND your machine is faulty. Chances are 'pretty slim' for those two things happening.

(07-10-2015, 02:32 PM)richb Wrote: I seriously doubt that the machine is faulty. I will find out in a couple of days.

Rich

So that may only leave your sleep study in question, but if your sleep study conformed to review procedures, the RAW data was reviewed by three professionals- your sleep technologist, a supervisory sleep technologist, and by a board-certified sleep doctor who supposedly writes a separate report with doc's findings.

p.s. Please use the 'Reply with Quote' button when doing so, rich.

I don't think they looked at the waveforms very well.

When I visited with the Tech last week I brought printouts from my SleepyHead reports. They had some pages from ResMed but never referred to them. They are having trouble believing the data from over a month of machine use. I will be using a replacement machine starting on Sunday.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Best wishes!

Sincerely,
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 08:26 AM)richb Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 07:58 AM)swwalden1 Wrote: Met with my sleep doc (Pulmonologist/Internist) yesterday. He said this breathing pattern is not Cheyne-Stokes.

The pattern we are referring to mimics Cheyne Stokes breathing but the period peak to peak is usually not as long as Cheyne Stokes. Cheyne Stokes is usually associated with congestive heart failure and the peak to peak is usually about a minute or more.

So trying to follow this.

Are not swwalden1's peak to peak times about a minute, therefore this IS CSR?

swwalden1, can you post the 30 minute block immediate prior to your original image?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2015, 06:35 AM)richb Wrote:
(07-08-2015, 09:49 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: when you leave your card out, you get the exact same score, just not the highly detailed data. so, that night you really did have an AHI < 5.

If only that were true. I left the card out for 2 nights in a row, Both reported AHIs under 5. No CAs. The next night with the card in I had an AHI of 38 all CAs.

Hi richb,

I suppose it is possible some software bug in the machine causes the number of centrals to be misreported unless the SD card is installed but I think it far more likely this would somehow be only a SleepyHead bug.

However, if ResScan or the machine's screen also repeatedly report no centrals unless the SD card is installed, then I suggest you call ResMed Customer Service and report the bug.

I am confident the machine would not have been designed to behave like that. The machine should have no problem keeping a running total of how many central apneas have occurred during the current session even though the SD card is not installed.

But unless you see this behavior repeated a few more nights and shown in ResScan Statistical Summary (one night no card and no centrals, next night with card and lots of centrals, again one night no card and no centrals, next night with card and lots of centrals) I'm not sure ResMed would believe these coincidences prove the machine is misreporting the number of centrals unless the SD card is installed.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
richb reported that his machine did not score CAs when card was removed, but showed that when card was out there were CAs on his report, just not the same frequency. that just seems weird. But, maybe the new machine will act differently.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:25 AM)mollete Wrote: So trying to follow this.

swwalden1, can you post the 30 minute block immediate prior to your original image?

Thanks.
Not sure why you are asking but here it is.

[Image: DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJOl8ZLN8KW8LA#617...0073204770]
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be a bug but it makes sense that more data is reported when SD card is inserted.

For example, my iCode displays data but when I use the SD card and review it there's more detail.

Perhaps richb machine only picks up a set minimum of data without SD inserted. If it were the other way around, one
might find it more problematic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:25 AM)mollete Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 08:26 AM)richb Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 07:58 AM)swwalden1 Wrote: Met with my sleep doc (Pulmonologist/Internist) yesterday. He said this breathing pattern is not Cheyne-Stokes.

The pattern we are referring to mimics Cheyne Stokes breathing but the period peak to peak is usually not as long as Cheyne Stokes. Cheyne Stokes is usually associated with congestive heart failure and the peak to peak is usually about a minute or more.

So trying to follow this.

Thanks.

In CSR, each cycle usually lasts between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.

From Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyne-s...espiration

Cheyne–Stokes respiration /ˈtʃeɪnˈstoʊks/ is an abnormal pattern of breathing characterized by progressively deeper and sometimes faster breathing, followed by a gradual decrease that results in a temporary stop in breathing called an apnea. The pattern repeats, with each cycle usually taking 30 seconds to 2 minutes.[1] It is an oscillation of ventilation between apnea and hyperpnea with a crescendo-diminuendo pattern, and is associated with changing serum partial pressures of oxygen and carbon dioxide.[2]

References
[1] "Cheynes–Stokes Respiration". WebMD LLC. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
[2] "Cheyne–Stokes respiration". WrongDiagnosis.com. Health Grades Inc. Retrieved 2010-09-03

But I think the doctor may be saying CPAP treatment-caused CSR mimics true CSR, which in his understanding is disease-caused CSR.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

I was curious to see if there were respiratory events that were missed by the machine. Indeed, there is a bit of periodic breathing (put http: in front of that):

//i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/morbius10/apboard_zpsz5s1y8ze.jpg

In both periodic salvos, the trigger appears to be a arousal, suggesting a CompSAS type of thing. Yet those cycles are long, suggesting circulatory delay may be underfoot.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 570 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.