Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Air in abdomen
Question 
Air in abdomen
I looked down about half the list of subjects, (sorry, I didn't check ALL of them) and didn't see this listed.  I use a nasal pillow (had the ResMed Mirage Swift II and now have the ResMed Swift LT for Her) and recently, most mornings when I wake up my abdomen is bloated with air.  This is uncomfortable to say they least, and can't be healthy.  When this happens, I I wake up to my mouth and throat so dried out that I can't even swallow.  I belch most of it out when I sit upright, but some gets deeper into my digestive system and sometimes causes extreme discomfort, like the gas pain after a colonoscopy. Does anyone else have, or has had, this problem? Any ideas what is happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air in abdomen
G'day Mirage. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The condition you describe is called aerophagia. There are quite a few threads in the forum about this problem as well as a discussion in our wiki here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Aerophagia

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! now that i know the correct term, I can research that!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mirage790,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try raising your head a bit with pillows, or, getting a soft survical collar, which keeps you from putting your head into your chest.
Hang in there for more suggestions and a better explanation then I gave you about the collar.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.