Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central while on ASV
Central while on ASV
Has anyone had central events, woken up gasping, heart racing, full on central apnea etc with their ASV on and active? It’s happened to me twice over the last few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central while on ASV
That really sounds more like an obstructive apnea. According to Resmed's literature central apneas are completely eliminated (provided the pressure settings are adequate) and any detected events are obstructive in nature. What does SleepyHead show?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on ASV since Dec and I've not had a bit of problems, I would recommend you post your Sleepyhead data for us to review.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd have to ditto the others. Post the chart so we can view what's happening to give a better idea what is being dealt with. Thanks.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are a few nights of data. The ASV doesn't show any signs of obstructive apnea, and I don't ever get them, and haven't gotten them, if ever. 0.0 on my tests, and i've had LITERALLY 1 single obstructive apnea since October. So I have doubts about that. I've had it happen 2x now, central waking up, heart racing, etc with the mask on and working. Here's the sh*t part: unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember which nights they were. Nothing looks out of the ordinary as far as I can tell with my data. The last few nights have been pretty good. I'm working with a cardiologist who's looking into heart murmur / valve, thinking that's the cause of all the centrals. So I guess we'll see about that. Regardless, the central with the mask on hasn't happened in a few days but still. It was horrifying. I would have had to have been triggered awake before the blast of ventilation comes in, which is weird. I know everyone has their weird circumstances, I was just in the hospital for chest pains and food poisoning, dehydration, the whole 9 yards. so that hasn't helped. Fortunately everything is back on the up and up. Seeing a new cardiologist Monday so that should help as well.  I just didn't think it was possible to have a central apnea with the machine on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you've had a lot of stuff happening besides your apnea which might be responsible. However one of your charts shows a period of rapid changes in airflow and pressure which might indicate you were unsettled. Unfortunately because you've stripped out the dates and other supporting information we don't know which chart is which. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
In one of my last posts I was knocked for having all the data in the left column so I took it off this time. I do see the one you’re talking about, if I were to make a guess, I’d say that was probably the one, as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:In one of my last posts I was knocked for having all the data in the left column so I took it off this time.

You probably had the calendar and pie chart which don't tell us much. If they are turned off there's a whole lot of statistics and machine setting numbers which are useful. Have a look at this: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you have a lot of medical history, yes, the charts are missing and so it may be a guess but I would start by looking at your Pressure Support.  It looks like you are set at 3 with a maximum of 9, I would venture to guess that if you are waking up in need of air, you need more pressure support.  I would increase it to 4 with a maximum of 15.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree with Hojo. Why is your pressure support so limited? I think a PSmax of 12 would be much more likely to overcome any central events. Please do not turn off the left column with the machine and respiratory statistics. There is a lot of very useful information you're not letting us see. The Chart Organization link in my signature shows the preferred layout.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 587 32 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,615 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 298 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.