Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Centrals and Leak Rate
Centrals and Leak Rate
Looking at this chart which highlights a series of central Apneas, They seem to be correlated to the Leak Rate somehow. Does anyone have any observations?

[Image: jkqUW9H.png]
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Centrals and Leak Rate
You have leaks all over the place it looks like mouth breathing it may be that these are not CA’s but you breathing through your mouth that the apap cannot detect. You have a huge amount of large leaks over 1/5 of the time you need to concentrate on that first once the leaks are sorted then we can look at the flow.

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2017, 01:26 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: You have leaks all over the place it looks like mouth breathing it may be that these are not CA’s but you breathing through your mouth that the apap cannot detect. You have a huge amount of large leaks over 1/5 of the time you need to concentrate on that first once the leaks are sorted then we can look at the flow.

Jason

Why would the software call these CA's if it can NOT detect them (due to my mouth breathing)? Wouldn't it be more likely to miss apneas if the leaks are too high? Thinking-about

BTW, these large leaks just began 2 nights ago. Even including them, my ave leak rate for the last 2 weeks has been 7.4%. I am also trying to figure out why suddenly the leak rate tripled. Last night I tried to loosen up my mask a bit (did not work!), and tonight I am going to try a new pillow in my mask.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not detecting that you are breathing, and it is not detecting a flow restriction, so it is assuming that it is a central event.

Another issue is large leaks can flush excess CO2 from the system and induce hypocapnia. Since the CO2 level in the blood is what triggers us to inhale, the result of hypocapnia is truly a central apnea event that happens to prevent hyperventilation.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 9 5 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 17 59 minutes ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 54 3 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 45 8 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 49 9 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 77 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 50 1,161 03-16-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.