Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Centrals and Opiates
Centrals and Opiates
I believe I just discovered a link between taking an opiate painkiller (Vicoprofen) and central apneas. Now this is only the second time
I've seen this so perhaps something else is causing it but yesterday
afternoon I took a Vicoprofen. Last night I had about 20! 10 second
apneas. None obstructive. This happened a while back and I thought
I was just getting used to the new machine. I have had more than a few nights now with only 2-3 centrals and no obstructive with AHI under 1.0. The only thing that changed was the Vicoprofen. So not
exactly a positive conclusion, it points in that direction. If I take it
again and get the same reaction I'll let everyone know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Centrals and Opiates
Last year my doctor gave me a script for some pain medication, turned out contain opiate, did not buy it after reading the link between central apnea and opiate

Drug-induced apnea. Taking certain medications such as opioids — including morphine sulfate (Ms Contin, Avinza, others), oxycodone (Oxycodone HCL, Oxycontin, others) or codeine sulfate — may cause your breathing to become irregular, to increase and decrease in a regular pattern, or to temporarily stop completely. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20030485
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 02:36 PM)GreyParrot Wrote: I believe I just discovered a link between taking an opiate painkiller (Vicoprofen) and central apneas. Now this is only the second time
I've seen this so perhaps something else is causing it but yesterday
afternoon I took a Vicoprofen. Last night I had about 20! 10 second
apneas. None obstructive. This happened a while back and I thought
I was just getting used to the new machine. I have had more than a few nights now with only 2-3 centrals and no obstructive with AHI under 1.0. The only thing that changed was the Vicoprofen. So not
exactly a positive conclusion, it points in that direction. If I take it
again and get the same reaction I'll let everyone know.

There are many deaths from these opiates. People think nothing of doubling doses or having a drink while taking them. They are known to depress respirations in anyone to takes them.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why they are prescribed by a Doctor. Yes, Opiates can cause centrals. All drugs have PROs and CONs, if you randomly need pain meds, try 'Tramadol", generic for "Ultram" - non-opiate mild to moderate pain killer.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 03:52 PM)Peter_C Wrote: This is why they are prescribed by a Doctor. Yes, Opiates can cause centrals. All drugs have PROs and CONs, if you randomly need pain meds, try 'Tramadol", generic for "Ultram" - non-opiate mild to moderate pain killer.

yep, that is what killed our child. hospital overdosed our child on opiates and also withheld blood transfusions that were ordered stat and withheld insulin until after our child coded and it was too late.

This is why I won't take anything I don't have to because I have seen it, even with me, where doctors, NP's, nurses and pharmacist don't pay close attention. I had a medical assistant tell me she didn't care what kind of OTC meds I took (including supplements). Well, guess what? They can interact with script meds. Metoprolol and krill is one that has to be careful with metoprolol I have been told.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opiates are CNS depressants; and most sleep docs discourage their use.
Tramadol has opioid like effects on neural transmitters and may not be the best choice either.
Vicoprofen is a mix of hydrocodone and ibuprofen.
(one reason they mix them is to get one level lower on the DEA schedule for controlled substances.)

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,801 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 409 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 691 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,087 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.