Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Centrals in REM Sleep
Centrals in REM Sleep
Recently took a level 2 sleep study at home to screen for sleep apnea. The results were all around kind of wack, and besides diagnosing me with mild sleep apnea (8.7 AHI), the study also revealed that almost all of my apneas / hypopneas were taking place in the first half of the night. 
    Weirder than that though were my centrals--Most of them were in REM sleep! Everything I could find online says that this is highly unusual, which makes me question the validity of the sleep study as a whole. I wanted to know if it's more likely for the sleep study to mistake a central apnea for an obstructive one, or if something else could be going on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Centrals in REM Sleep
Central apnea are scored if there is a 10 second or more cessation of breathing without respiratory effort (expansion) being detected by the chest and/or abdominal belts. It's a reasonably accurate method. With obstructive apnea, the chest and abdomen will continue to show respiratory effort during the apnea, and often, the effort is greater than an unobstructed breath. We don't see a channel registering physical movement or body position. Sometimes apnea like this can be related to movement, especially in REM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Centrals in REM Sleep
Here are all of the channels, sorry for the poor image quality.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 82 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 576 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,069 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 164 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 269 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.