Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar: My teeth HURT
Cervical Collar: My teeth HURT
I added a cervical collar to my treatment and I think it is doing its job however I have one issue with it. It pushes my jaw forward which then makes my lower teeth push forward against my top teeth.  To be clear it isn't making me clench, rather the stress is coming perpendicular to the teeth.  Every morning I wake up and ouch my upper front teeth hurt.  I started with the Caldera ReLeaf collar but then switched to The Eliminator model since it is 1000x more comfortable.  Anyone else experience this?  Anyone have any solutions to this?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cervical Collar: My teeth HURT
Perhaps the collar is too high. I never have this problem with mine. See the link below for information on sizing and adjusting soft cervical collars.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by "too high" I have as loose as I can get it without being able to slip my chin inside the collar so it is fairly loose and rests on my chest.  I am using the exact same model pictured in the link you referenced
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether a collar fits right is dependent not just on your neck circumference, but the height of your neck too. Some folk have short necks and others have tall necks.

From your description, the collar is more than likely too tall for you if it’s putting that much pressure to make your teeth hurt.

Measure from the bottom of your chin to the point where your your neck ends.  How much room is there?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IDK if it's the collar or the pressure or both but my bite is all out of whack too. in addition, I suspect pressure on my upper lip and teeth from the nasal pillow mask caused a cavity. my dentist confirms that mouth breathing wreaks havoc on our teeth too.

I suppose a retainer of some kind might help maintain tooth position but I think having my lower jaw more advanced is a good thing from the standpoint of opening the airway. without knowing what to do about it, I figure I just have to accept it as a cost of avoiding apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
My measurement from my chin to bottom of neck is just under 6".  I've also attached a couple of images of the collar on me with a relaxed neck.  In my mind, it doesn't seem like height matters all that much because whatever the height, it is going to be pressing against my chin and chest to prevent me from tucking my chin.  Shorter height only means that my chin tucks further before that happens, or am I missing something here?

[Image: ICnFKrs.jpg?1][Image: 1ansELi.jpg?1]
Post Reply Post Reply
I never had the teeth hurting problem, but I also never could make a cervical collar work for me.  I would suggest this chin strap: <Link removed. Search for Dual Band Chin Strap>   It is completely different from the standard neoprene ones, which actually are terribly designed.  This chin strap produces "vertical lift," so it works with the natural rotation direction of the jaw.  And it's comfortable. There are two bands, an elastic one and a non-elastic one, so the force is highly adjustable.  The website explains it better than I can.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I currently have sores on the back of my neck because of the devices I use to keep my jaw closed.

Last night I reverted to a "cap" that has a velcro strap that holds my jaw closed. It's not perfect; I tried to put it on so there was a good gap above my eyebrows, because the last time I wore it it had slipped down in front so I couldn't see.

BTW I was noted for posting a link before, so I can't post a link for this product.

I've probably spent more on bad chinstraps and jaw pads over the years than my darn cpap machine costs! And I can't wear a full face mask because I'm claustrophobic. I've tried about 10 ffm's.

I can see why members here tape their lips closed!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2019, 08:16 AM)DaveL Wrote: BTW I was noted for posting a link before, so I can't post a link for this product.

You can post the name of the product and the vendor as long as you don't post a link. For example you can post Dr. Dakota from Amazon.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Melman your post is very helpful. I particularly like the link

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

I also have the Dakota device. The strap on the back of my neck has caused me grief, because of the way I put it on. The sores/whatever back there started because of the way I put the Dakota on...

The device I used last night is called the PAPcap. It's a cotton chinstrap. Mine is old; new ones are slightly different. My experience is that fit is critical. The manufacturer? is Pur-Sleep. They were excellent when I talked to them years ago. Perhaps I need to contact them again.

Think of a hat like the doctor's wear in operating rooms. It's cotton. Fit? It closes at the back with a velcro attachment. There are velcro strips on the side. A chinstrap attaches with velcro there. This velcro strap goes under my chin. So it holds my chin closed

Criticism? I may not be putting it on right; I hate it when it slips down my forehead. Maybe it's time I bought a new one.

I've got a bald spot=slippery! A lot of chin straps don't work for me.

Again, I'm claustrophobic and full face masks don't stay on my face long! I've tried many of them.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 222 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 355 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 361 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 371 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.