Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar: My teeth HURT
RE: Cervical Collar: My teeth HURT
(puts on responder cap) As a volunteer medical first responder, I can confirm that collars come in different heights and the height selected is dependent on the patient's physical features. (takes off responder cap)

I agree with Melman and OpalRose that it sounds like your collar is too tall for your neck and is applying too much force or hyper extending your head/jaw position. This can cause a multitude of other issues and should be addressed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2019, 11:31 AM)PsychoMike Wrote: (puts on responder cap) As a volunteer medical first responder, I can confirm that collars come in different heights and the height selected is dependent on the patient's physical features. (takes off responder cap)

I agree with Melman and OpalRose that it sounds like your collar is too tall for your neck and is applying too much force or hyper extending your head/jaw position. This can cause a multitude of other issues and should be addressed.

Great post Mike!
Question: I have skin issues back of my neck due to rubbing from my Dakota strap.
* how can I treat those?
* is there a good preventive measure? I find the Dakota wedge hard to put on. I'm getting old, and I'm not as flexible as I never was! ;Wink (I cut toes off an old sock, and I've inserted it over the velcro strap behind my neck. I move a lot. Doesn't work!)

I have a collection of pad and chinstraps I've bought that haven't worked. My DME doesn't stock the only chinstrap I liked. Can't find it on the internet. Darn thing stretches with time, and then it doesn't hold my jaw closed.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2019, 04:43 PM)dneal12 Wrote: I added a cervical collar to my treatment and I think it is doing its job however I have one issue with it. It pushes my jaw forward which then makes my lower teeth push forward against my top teeth.  To be clear it isn't making me clench, rather the stress is coming perpendicular to the teeth.  Every morning I wake up and ouch my upper front teeth hurt.  I started with the Caldera ReLeaf collar but then switched to The Eliminator model since it is 1000x more comfortable.  Anyone else experience this?  Anyone have any solutions to this?  Thanks!

Allow me to suggest an alternative explanation.  I had exactly the problem you describe, but before I started using a collar..  A dentist made bite guard resolved the problem, though it took several weeks for full resolution.

When you don't wear the collar, your mouth is open and you don't clench.  When you wear it, your mouth is closed and you clench.  Wearing the mask and/or collar make you clench differently than most people (based on my dentist finding the location of pain to be unusual).

chill
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DaveL,

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Dakota straps (or any straps other than those that are part of the usual headgear), so I can't offer much help there Sad
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill and PsychoMike.
My neck is healing quickly now I'm not using my Dakota
I've had two nights good sleep. (Last night wasn't long enough due to the Canadian federal election. Minority guvment elected. Same Prime Minister as before.)
I'm using a PapCap which is a hat that has a chin strap attached. I have solved the only problem i had with it. I have tightened the cap with the velcro on the back. I put it on low on the back so my head shape keeps it from sliding down over my eyes. So it's really snug. Then I put the chin strap on and attach it to the PapCap. That combination works.
Last night and the night before I slept right through to wake up. No trips to the washroom! That's incredible. If i make a washroom trip I can't sleep after.
BTW before cpap diagnosis I used to get up about 4 times a night. To to to the washroom. Boy was I tired back then.

(It took me two years to talk my quack of a doctor into a prescription for a sleep study. )
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL greetings from another Canuck Wink Here's to some sleep (good or not may depend on what part of the country Wink ) now that the election is over for at least the next 4 months. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. My Father was born in Edmonton 1916; Mother in Winnipeg. I was born in Victoria, and dragged screaming at 11 months to eastern Canada. One of first baby-boomers. Wink
4 Months....could be. Minority guvmint.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the great replies. The recommendations for different makes and models are appreciated. Some of them are specifically for keeping your mouth closed rather than for preventing chin tuck which is the problem I am trying to address with "The Eliminator". I have tried going back to the Caldera Releaf and tried going with one from Walgreens and all the same problem. I haven't tried using a mouth guard or anything yet. I had to take a break from all of them due to the headaches and waking up early due to the hurting teeth! It has been going a lot better without the cushion the past few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning,
I used my wedge for about 6 months. The Dakota thing...I've recently stopped using it because I do it up so tight. I haven't been careful with the strap when putting it on. I developed sores on the back of my neck. Cleanliness? Don't know. those of healed now. I went back to my PapCap. I found it; hadn't used it in a while. I stopped using it a few years ago, wondering whether wearing a cap all night contributed to baldness...My bald spot makes it hard to use a chinstrap.
I used a brand new PapCap last night. I still have price shock. It's advertised in dollars. (US dollars of course.) By the time it got to my door it was almost double that cost. I know. That's the value of the Canadian dollar...but it's a shock none the less.
The PapCap is good for me. However, I need to be very careful how I put it on. It doesn't have favourable reviews on some sites. Buy it too big, or put it on too loose it doesn't work well. Put it on right it's a delight. It was last night.

It's like a surgeon's cap with a velcro chinstrap. With my headshape i need to be wary that I pull it down in the back, towards my neck. An explanation...my old one is a Large. My new one is a Small. I've only used it one night, and results were favourable. Put this PapCap thing on. Put on my ResMed N20, with the hose going back over my head to the hose reel behind me...I sure do look strange. C'est la vie...(only high school french I remember.)
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 214 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 421 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 532 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 368 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.