Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar Success story
RE: Cervical Collar Success story
Thanks Sleeprider,

That sounds better!
Love my ASV

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct assessment from Sleeprider. No way was I saying trash the ASV and collar. My post was to indicate that both collar and ASV likely need to stay teamed to give you that good therapy you presented in that OSCAR shot, and to build a nice, good trend.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave,

Sorry about my misunderstanding

I actually LIKE this Collar, so that will be easy to continue my Trend,

R
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries here. I didn't word it well the first go at it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Positional Devices
I've also experimented with collars in a way to find a best breathing position, and to control mouth breathing as I didn't want to wear a full face mask.  It's a challenge (with collars) balancing both comfort level (for xPAP tolerance) and effectiveness of xPAP therapy.  Instead, I've opted to go pillow-less with a large firm neck roll to keep my head back.  

In addition to finding the perfect device and the perfect mask, one needs to find their optimal positional support device(s).

In the early posting on the Caldera collar, I own it and found its soft flexible, very comfortable material provided little support for me.  It was an "ultra-light" for me.  As with all collars, YMMV.  Choosing the correct sizing is very important too.  

Cervical collars, with their low prices, are such a nice tool to experiment with.  Experimenting with $15 items can be fun, versus experimenting with masks and machines.  For those who really like a specific brand, please post a review in the product reviews forum http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-O...ct-Reviews.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eat-popcorn X 2 on the Caldera. Love the wide selection of heights. The Velcro is extremely tenacious and the fabric does show body oils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,
Wakeuptime and Lgibson

There sure are many Caldera choices

Love the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks wakeuptime.

Your post helps. so do the others.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice. The collar getting rid of apnea has shown us some more info too.

On Jan 11th data see what happened at 2:00, 5:00 and 5:30? All three declines in flow rate look like partial restricted breathing that ended in RERA. Looks like you are getting some sort of restriction that I assume is obstructive in nature like these apnea were.

They aren't occurring that often and may be minor in the big picture (compared to previous apnea etc) but you could consider trying to improve them. I would first use the same settings for at least a few nights to get a baseline before trying to treat.

Trial 1 to improve would be try raising min EPAP slowly to see if that helps. I would increase in stages of 2 cm and go as high as 10 cm. If no improvement I would return back to lower EPAP and trial 2 would be to try increasing PS to 4.

Improvement will be tough to notice and is more a visual thing just seeing if the flow rate chart appears more uniform (like it already does with the collar) and fewer periods of restriction followed by arousal breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2022, 01:09 PM)richdreher Wrote: I actually LIKE this Collar, so that will be easy to continue my Trend,

I never had positional apnea but do have problems with mouth breathing, for which I use just a generic foam collar. It works for that (mostly, but I still use tape), but I also found that I love the way it keeps my neck warm on cold nights! I’ve become addicted to the thing and just don’t sleep very well without it! 

I also put a piece of stretch cotton stockinette - the kind doctors under under casts - on it to help keep it from getting ripe. Every couple of weeks I just cut a new piece to refresh the collar. Cotton stockinette is cheap on Amazon, I bought a 25 yard roll for $20.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 228 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,257 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 552 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 428 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,063 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.