Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar - amazing!
Grin 
Cervical Collar - amazing!
Sleeprider [from a previous post]: "Assuming your events are predominately obstructive, there are a couple different ways to deal with that high pressure. One is to get a machine that provides up to 25 cm pressure such as the Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto or S9 VPAP Auto. It's possible you could use a soft cervical collar to keep your head and neck aligned and avoid the physical obstruction common with tucking your chin to your chest and other positions that greatly increase obstruction. Soft cervical collars only cost 10-$20 and you are looking for a loose fit, 2-inches greater than your neck circumference and an inch or two shorter than chin to bottom of neck. You would be amazed at how many people this works for."

I came up with a soft collar that did not hurt my neck/C-spine and proceeded to experiment with SR's recommendation.  It really flabbergasted me as the very high mixed apneas had been persisting no matter what I did using the APAP/CPAP I am currently dealing with. 

There are three segments shown on SpeepyHead done on the same night. [CHARTS]

The first and second were with a cervical collar and in two parts due to a P-break.  The third, the collar was removed and the mixed apneas shot skyward.  Now, IF only I could figure how to keep from overheating with the cumberbun around my neck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cervical Collar - amazing!
Pretty dramatic improvement, but I would hope for more. But a 5X reduction is right up there with amazing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Last night, again with the collar, I repeated using the same settings (AHI 12.95 for 8 hours+) and at approximately 3am and 5am I noted a low pressure in the full face mask.  Don't know if I woke because of that or just happened to wake up. Thought the power may have been off but actually there was still a pressure there.  Each time I sat up and the pressure increased markedly.  The min/max pressures are 12/19 and it appeared to be lower than 12 when it was noted each time, and also each time when it increased it seemed to go to about 19.  I'm guessing it is the Auto-mode that is regulating the pressure reduction, but why does it bounce back when sitting up?

What amazed me this night was NOT A SINGLE 'P' break (in the 8+ hours).  That would be the first time in well over two years! 5

BTW: Scheduled to get the ResMed BiPAP monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is your first sign of kicking this apnea in the pants. Good job...Pretty clear that you have a significant positional apnea component, and I'm glad that it is responding to the combination of the collar and pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2017, 11:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think that is your first sign of kicking this apnea in the pants.  Good job...Pretty clear that you have a significant positional apnea component, and I'm glad that it is responding to the combination of the collar and pressure.

Does what I stated about the machine pressure behavior make sense  Huh

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't explain the pressure issues without seeing something graphic. It could be you are just adapting to the pressure, and there are times you don't need as much. A chart in the time where you think this is happening may help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Could be when your sitting up your holding your breath to get up or your head is dropping forward when your sitting. The machine thinks there's an obstruction so something your doing while sitting up is cutting off airflow.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
nothing is counted seriously while you are a wake and I would think the act of sitting up and the breathing patterns involved, would be enough to get the machine to think there is something going on it needs to fix.

the waking up feeling low pressure....
As you get use to cpap, you will wake up thinking the machine isn't on, because you can't feel anything. Even more funny is thinking you have taken off your mask, as you can't feel it..only to find it stuck to your face.

as sleeprider said, get some charts up to see what is going on.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2017, 03:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I can't explain the pressure issues without seeing something graphic.  It could be you are just adapting to the pressure, and there are times you don't need as much.  A chart in the time where you think this is happening may help.

" The Charts Sir, Just the charts" Bigwink     (Not sure of the two times; 3 and 5 -ish)
https://imgur.com/a/g0mZW

(11-02-2017, 03:14 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Could be when your sitting up your holding your breath to get up or your head is dropping forward when your sitting. The machine thinks there's an obstruction so something your doing while sitting up is cutting off airflow.

Could be.. Don't recall grunting or straining either time, buy maybe did..

(11-02-2017, 03:17 PM)ajack Wrote: nothing is counted seriously while you are a wake and I would think the act of sitting up and the breathing patterns involved, would be enough to get the machine to think there is something going on it needs to fix.

the waking up feeling low pressure....
As you get use to cpap, you will wake up thinking the machine isn't on, because you can't feel anything. Even more funny is thinking you have taken off your mask, as you can't feel it..only to find it stuck to your face.

as sleeprider said, get some charts up to see what is going on.

"That" Is exactly the sensation I first had.  Didn't feel the mask nor any air movement.  Thinking to myself, "When did you take it off?  Then, "Did the power go out?"
SO, I sat up to figure it out and 'boom' -pressure is back..

Thanks guys Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty good between the two clusters, which I assume are still positional. Many of us get comfortable and feel like the pressure is not there, until we pull the mask away and a rush of air comes out. Considering where you came from, this is surprisingly good, but we need to knock out those clusters. The fact you responded so well to the collar tells us this is positional, and treatable. I have rarely seen such an impressive turn-around, but I'm a bit stumped on how to make the clusters completely go away.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 216 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 550 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 359 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 535 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.