Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collars
RE: Cervical Collars
The soft cervical collar has been the main thing in helping me to stop/minimise mouth breathing. It works very well in conjunction with a Dreamwear mask. My PAP pressures have been gradually dropping while using it and it certainly works better than a chinstrap. I do try to sleep on my side as it is relatively easy to sleep on your back with a collar. That said, if I could put something on the back of a collar to make me not want to do that it would be even better. This might be a new CPAP aid for someone inventive.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a rigid collar, or even a full sized soft collar, you're probably sleeping supine more (on you back) meaning the higher pressure could be related to trying to keep certain tissues from closing the airway.

Hard collars are an interesting beast. With my background, I've been boarded more than a few times and they are an experience. I don't know that I'd want to sleep in one unless I had good support because, if they are done "right", you don't get much movement at all...add a couple straps and a really hard mattress and you're pushing towards ready for a ride in the flashy light express Wink

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on my left side and use a soft collar. It helpes me to keep my airway open. I have found that I tuck my head down into my chest when I sleep. This tucking of the head closes off the airway some and when my tongue relaxes and closes it some more I have trouble passing air into my lungs.

The soft collar is loosely fit I do not like it touching my throat. Any pressure on my adams apple area is not liked.

I feel that keeping the airway open is worth the slight discomfort of a loose collar.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2016, 06:56 PM)cate1898 Wrote: DV are you referring to a hard rigid plastic Cervical Collar or a soft-ish one?

Soft. (Caldera Releaf Neck Rest)

(12-02-2016, 07:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is the leak rate similar with and without the soft cervical collar? Do you sleep in the same position with and without, or does the collar tend to make you favor your back?

leak rates are normally very good both with and without. I never. ever. sleep on my back. I have never been able to breathe while on my back, and sleep on side or stomach only

(12-02-2016, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I wonder if it is holding tissue in when it usually relaxes out? It can't get moved out of the way or allowed to fall out of the way at night because it is being held in place? So more pressure is needed to shove it out of the way.

Just a theory.

That is what I think is happening too... but wanted to know if anyone else experiences it!

One reason I wanted to use it is that the "tongue suck technique" causes my jaw to hold some tension - the cervical collar does allow it to relax more and me to sleep deeper - however that relaxed jaw may actually be an issue. Sad It is a bit claustrophobia inducing, but it also does help my neck pain, but seems to exacerbate sleep apnea
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2016, 11:57 AM)DariaVader Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I wonder if it is holding tissue in when it usually relaxes out? It can't get moved out of the way or allowed to fall out of the way at night because it is being held in place? So more pressure is needed to shove it out of the way.

Just a theory.

That is what I think is happening too... but wanted to know if anyone else experiences it!

One reason I wanted to use it is that the "tongue suck technique" causes my jaw to hold some tension - the cervical collar does allow it to relax more and me to sleep deeper - however that relaxed jaw may actually be an issue. Sad It is a bit claustrophobia inducing, but it also does help my neck pain, but seems to exacerbate sleep apnea

If what Paula describes is occurring, I think the collar may be too small from bottom to top where it goes under the chin and/or may be being tightened too much. Another possibility might be that the collar is toooo soft and is compressing against the front of the neck.

The collar should not be putting any pressure on the neck in the front except acting as a downward barrier for the lower jaw which for me does put some upward pressure on my lower jaw. This should not compress anything in the airway.

I am not any kind of expert on cervical collars. Information above is my own logic and some small experience with a cervical collar.

If you want to see a real interesting cervical collar, look up Sterno-occipital mandibular immobilization device. It sounded interesting but after seeing a picture of one, there is no way short of absolute necessity that I am wearing one of those to sleep in.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria,

Hi, I just looked at a pic of the "Releaf" and it looks comfortable. Neat. I fall exactly on the breakpoint for the Regular and Large sizes, though. Do you have any recommendation for which to choose? Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would go large. that is what I bought and it is adjustable both sizes are the same height IIRC -- my thoughts are that it might be too tall rather than too short. moi has a shortish neck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does your neck brace put pressure on the front of your neck?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I went out for dinner with friends last night and accepted the offer to stay over to avoid driving after a couple of red wines. I took my machine of course and when I eventually went to set everything up I found that I had forgotten my collar. This was a concern but I had no choice but to sleep without it.

The upshot is that I woke up early because of a thunderstorm but felt OK all day. AHI for last night was 1.12.

I'm not going to use this as an excuse to ditch the collar but I suppose that after all this time the tongue suck technique must now be ingrained.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it puts pressure on the front of the neck, but it might be pushing back the chin

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 545 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 320 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 514 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 642 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 478 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 388 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 589 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.