Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collars
RE: Cervical Collars
I forgot to take my cervical collar with me for the two nights we were gone over Thanksgiving. Using the collar has kept me as low as zero leaks (last night). On those two nights my leak chart on SH look like a chain of mountains. I had a major leak or two one night--most were pretty small and I had good AHIs both nights. Good lesson--I won't forget that collar again!
Post Reply Post Reply
When I am so tired that I fall asleep and forget my Ball and Chain It hurts me and I tell myself that I will never do it again.

Post Reply Post Reply
So I asked my physical therapist today about the use of soft foam collars for keeping the mouth closed at night. He thought it was a cool idea, better than taping. He said if your neck has no issues, and as long as you are only wearing it while sleeping, you aren't doing any muscle damage. But if you have neck issues, it is probably not a good idea. He wasn't keen on the idea of rigid ones being used since they must be fitted and if they are not fitted correctly, you may do damage just due to the bad positioning.

Daria, we did briefly start discussing jaw placement but were disrupted when he hit a tender spot and I threatened his testicles.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dielaughing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Threats notwithstanding, has anyone checked to see if there are any negatives to wearing a chin strap all night??

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried wearing a cervical collar for three weeks. It just didn't work out for me. My AHI increased a great deal, I didn't sleep as well with the collar and I tended to roll over onto my back while wearing the collar.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
People have sewn a tennis ball on the back of a T-shirt. 
Very effective. A kid’s small hard rubber ball taped to 
the collar might work.
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 214 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 421 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 532 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.