Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chair beds and futon chairs vs recliners for sleeping
Chair beds and futon chairs vs recliners for sleeping
Due to sleep apnea and back problems I've been sleeping in a battered old rocker recliner for some years now. The recline function broke years ago. At the time I couldn't afford to replace the chair, so I got a foot rest to use with the chair.

Recently, my doc told me I should sleep with my feet raised, so I started looking for alternatives to recliners that would still let me sleep sitting up, but have my feet up better than just getting a new recliner to replace my broken one.  The other day I came across something called a chair bed, and some models are called futon chairs. They convert from a chair to a sitting up lounger, and then to a flat bed. I can't handle getting into or out of the ones that sit on the floor because of two bad knees, but some models have short legs, and if i put an additional mattress on top that will put it at an even better height for me to get on and off one of these things.

My thought was that I could leave it permanently in the half sitting up lounge position, which would let me sleep with my feet raised, and I could also put a pillow or wedge pillow under my knoees, too. I would have to use the type of mattress that can be used with adjustable beds, but that's not a problem. I've read the reviews for some of these chair beds, and found a few that had good ones, but before I go to the expense of a chair bed and an additional mattress to go on top of it, I'd like to know if anyone here has used both a recliner and a chair bed for sleeping on, which you liked better, and why.

If you haven't used a recliner, but have used a chair bad, I'd also like to hear from you to know whether it helped or hindered you in sleeping.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chair beds and futon chairs vs recliners for sleeping
I have never used a chairbed but wonder is this what it looks like?

[ Commercial Link Removed  -  Search Wayfair for "Batres Futon Chair". ]

I am going to look at a used recliner today so I can sleep better myself.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
1st (Aug 2019) thread: AirSense 10, Pressure: 6/18cmH₂O.
2nd (Oct 28th 2023) thread AirCurve10, Pressure: 21/17cmH₂O

Using Oscar and SleepHQ since my mobile phone is too old to support Resmed App.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know people that sleep in chairs as they feel more comfortable since they developed Sleep Apnea.
One bought an Futon and uses that to a great success, another sleeps on a settee that has a fold down end, the other end they stuff pillows into the armrest and almost sleep at 45 degrees. It works for them and some find they don't need so high a pressure. Mostly though they are still sleeping on their backs, so not quite so good as far a apneas go, but because they are sleeping more upright it is not quite so critical so they get away with it.
Basically, if it works for you, use the method you are most comfortable with, if it means sitting in a chair, that's fine.
Only problem with sitting in a chair is your head dropping forward cutting off your airways, so you might need to by a collar to stop this happening.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There is also something called a zero gravity chair. My brother-in-law likes his for sleeping. He has trouble getting in and out of bed and this chair helps with that problem. For him.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 204 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.