Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chang settingsI
Chang settingsI
I have a Bipap machine. My pressure settings were set at 14/10. I was struggling with a lot of aerophagia, however I was getting good ahi readings, averaging 2.1 per hour. I changed the setting on my own to 10/6 with NO significant increases to my ahi results. Can anyone give me reasons why no difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chang settingsI
lab titration may have used the values needed to prevent airway collapse when you are supine, but perhaps you never lay on your back but sleep on your side? that is a guess based on what I have heard from others - need more data to really have any assurance that is the case.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi johnd45ff,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question, but check back, someone will be able to help you.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is 14/10 and 10/6 equivalent to EPAP and PS in your note? OR, are they your IPAP and EPAP?

Were 14 and 10 your titrated pressures from a overnight sleep study in a lab?
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
(08-14-2015, 12:41 AM)AshSF Wrote: Is 14/10 and 10/6 equivalent to EPAP and PS in your note? OR, are they your IPAP and EPAP?

Were 14 and 10 your titrated pressures from a overnight sleep study in a lab?

14 and 10 were the IPAP and EPAP settings set by the Dr. after the sleep study. My respiratory therapist said that the AHI readings on my Resmed AirCurve 10 could be trusted. Another posting suggested that perhaps the sleep study tested me from a supine position. I always sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might have been sleeping on your back during the sleep study. If you normally sleep on your stomach or side, you could see the same results at a lower setting. I have vanilla obstructive apnea. That might be different for those with other issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically, in a sleep study, they make you sleep on the back to get the 'worst case' scenario. And if you are on straight bilevel, the IPAP and EPAP will be to take care of all events even in a worst case scenario. So, you may get by with Lower pressures than the titrated ones.

Another thing that you may need to look at is your O2 levels. Sometimes, a higher pressure support is needed to take care of O2 levels. You can check that by wearing an overnight recording pulse ox and makin sure your O2 levels are good at 10/6 setting.

Another thing to keep in mind is 'Are you feeling rested in the morning?'. Because sometimes, a lower pressure may take care of the AHI but it lets EEG microarousals come in, and they can make you feel crappy in the morning even though your AHI looks great.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change settingsi Stefani 2 2,169 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.