Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change Humidity Level Seasonally
Question 
Change Humidity Level Seasonally
Coming up on 3.5 months of therapy. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I am wondering if I need to back off on the humidity setting. It seems I am getting condensation on the inside of the tube.

Sometimes when I reposition in bed, a pillow may pull the hose from my mask and I can feel small droplets of water hit my face. Also when I first get up, I feel the need to cough deeply, like maybe there is too much moisture in my lungs.

Curious what others experience and think about this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally
As you head into the cooler months, you might find a Climateline heated hose to be beneficial. The Climateline helps reduce rainout caused by the temperature differential in winter.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In winter, the relative humidity in our homes drops, and the air temperature is generally cooler which promotes condensation of the relatively warm humid air from the CPAP. I actually increase the humidity setting in winter, and use a higher hose temperature setting to ensure it does not condense and cause rainout. I also use a fleece cover on my heated hose, which further prevents problems and makes it much more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the heated hose and run mine on the auto setting , to this date if never had much of an issue with rain out. Also I don't live in Texas either, hope I didn't jinx myself.
It doesn't hurt to try different setting , so I hope you find the right one.Smile
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Who knew. The thing I experienced has a name. Rain Out. Funny. Last night I dropped the humidity down a notch and didn't feel the need for any deep coughing this morning. I will look into the other suggestions, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly enough since getting my climate line I've never turned the heat down. I thought it would bother me in the summer. Instead I find the AC up and the heated line on full blast. I like it, makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I go to bed lol.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seek balance, everything that affects us are usually balanced.

I suggest that you put the humidifier in position 1 and all your problems will be solved, do not try to add more temperature through the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 12:26 AM)Galactus Wrote: Oddly enough since getting my climate line I've never turned the heat down. I thought it would bother me in the summer. Instead I find the AC up and the heated line on full blast. I like it, makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I go to bed lol.

That is because you are fuzzy. Just not as fuzzy as I am though.

Sorry, I just could not resist

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Heated hose helps with the hose, but condensation can still occur in the mask itself, if you're using a FFM. For that reason I too turn the humidity down.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the room gets colder the likelihood of condensation will increase. You can turn down the humidification setting, insulate the hose, heat the hose, or heat the room.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,710 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 586 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.