Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change Machines?
Change Machines?
Hi, Guys

What a great resource, this support forum. I am so glad it is here.

Anywho -- diagnosed 6/11 during sleep study. Was provided a 60 Series Respironics CPAP set at 6 CM3 H2O so I could "get used to the idea". Back for second night sleepover titration nad was provided a BiPAP 60 Series set at 19/15. First rank was 27.4 AHI. CPAP set at 6 lowered that to 20-24 AHI. In other words, not much. With new BiPAP last night's AHI was 2.0 with 7 day average running around 3.7 -- had a few "issues" at first. Now, at 19/15.....

Have you ever seen one of those things on the side of the road designed to get you attention? You know -- the ones with air blowing through them and the flop all over the place? That's kinda how I feel at this high pressure.

I am considering purchasing on my own an *Auto* BiPAP 60 Series to help with the pressure. If I have done my just due properly, I can set the auto machine to only go that high if it needs to do so. According to the Sleepyhead software, that would only be a short period of time during any given night and I could have a morfe comfortable setting the balance of the night.

Sound logical or have I lost my mind? What say the more experienced around here?

Thanks for any help offered!

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change Machines?
I guess I'm confused, probably because I'm not that familiar with your model. But it sounds as if you have a new BiPAP, but it's set to CPAP mode of pressure 19?

The main consideration is what happens to your AHI if you reduce the pressure, which is essentially what you are thinking to do with an "Auto." If you are at 19, and your AHI is 2.0 then you might need to think about it before you change anything.

For openers, what events are you having? CA, OA, Hypo's? Are you getting a good seal all the time with your mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
He's saying 19 IPAP, 15 EPAP pressures. Yes, those are on the high side; but not uncommon.
Phil587, you need an Auto Bilevel machine that is fully data capable -- In the ResMed lineup, that's the S9 VPAP Auto. I don't know which Respironics model is roughly equivalent. ResMeds auto algorithm is a bit more aggressive in raising pressure than Respironics. Many people have apnea clusters during the night; and Auto machines abate them. The retreat from higher pressure is slower than the rate of rise.
Nothing wrong with your thinking Phil587; as long as you get a data capable machine that lets you see what's happening. Don't let them stick you with a "dumb brick."

I know the VPAP Auto is capable of 25 cm-H2O max. Where the Autoset maxes at 20 cm-H2O.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phil587,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 02:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I guess I'm confused, probably because I'm not that familiar with your model. But it sounds as if you have a new BiPAP, but it's set to CPAP mode of pressure 19?

The main consideration is what happens to your AHI if you reduce the pressure, which is essentially what you are thinking to do with an "Auto." If you are at 19, and your AHI is 2.0 then you might need to think about it before you change anything.

For openers, what events are you having? CA, OA, Hypo's? Are you getting a good seal all the time with your mask?

Thanks for your response, Retired Guy. I guess I didn't explain myself and my situation properly. Sorry 'bout that -- my fault!

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 02:21 PM)justMongo Wrote: He's saying 19 IPAP, 15 EPAP pressures. Yes, those are on the high side; but not uncommon.
Phil587, you need an Auto Bilevel machine that is fully data capable -- In the ResMed lineup, that's the S9 VPAP Auto. I don't know which Respironics model is roughly equivalent. ResMeds auto algorithm is a bit more aggressive in raising pressure than Respironics. Many people have apnea clusters during the night; and Auto machines abate them. The retreat from higher pressure is slower than the rate of rise.
Nothing wrong with your thinking Phil587; as long as you get a data capable machine that lets you see what's happening. Don't let them stick you with a "dumb brick."

Yep -- you nailed it, Mongo -- thanks for your help. I kinda had a feeling I was on the right track. Me being me, I have a tendency to study all angles, even though they seem to try their best to camouflage the machine and setting info. The Respironics BiPAP Auto is essentially the same as the RESmed. it just costs substantially less. I have spoken with a couple of big online dealers handling both and both dealers seemed to have a preference for the Philips unit. Of course, Philips might be offering an "incentive" right now, too! Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 03:12 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Phil587,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks for the welcome, Trish. It would appear I have just begun an interesting if very long journey. I certainly hope to have very positive results (already have some) and I wish you the best of luck, as well.

Phil

Post Reply Post Reply
In the Commercial Posts section of the forum are a list of suppliers. We refer to them by number here in this area of the forum.
I got a good deal paying out of pocket on a zero hour machine from #2 -- an "open box special."

Going online, be sure you become familiar with setup for the machine of your choice -- you'll need to double check their initial settings.
Plus, your analytical mind will want to tweak the settings for optimal comfort and therapeutic response.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 01:48 PM)Phil587 Wrote: Back for second night sleepover titration nad was provided a BiPAP 60 Series set at 19/15. First rank was 27.4 AHI. CPAP set at 6 lowered that to 20-24 AHI. In other words, not much. With new BiPAP last night's AHI was 2.0 with 7 day average running around 3.7 -- had a few "issues" at first. Now, at 19/15.....
Can you please confirm the model number of your BiPAP.

Take the humidifier out and turn the machine over and look for the model number. The important thing is the 3-digit number in the middle.

Does it say 660 or 661? Or does it say 760 or 761?

If you have a 760 or 761 machine, you already have a BiPAP Auto, but it has been set in BiPAP mode instead of Auto BiPAP mode.

If you have a 660 or 661 machine, you have a BiPAP Pro and it cannot be set in Auto mode.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 05:46 PM)justMongo Wrote: In the Commercial Posts section of the forum are a list of suppliers. We refer to them by number here in this area of the forum.
I got a good deal paying out of pocket on a zero hour machine from #2 -- an "open box special."

Going online, be sure you become familiar with setup for the machine of your choice -- you'll need to double check their initial settings.
Plus, your analytical mind will want to tweak the settings for optimal comfort and therapeutic response.

Thanks for the heads-up on the commercial section -- good info there. The two I have contacted are both there and the dealer I have spoken with the most is #1 so I guess I am on the right track. I will want to purchase brand new and will cut no corners when my health is concerned. I will make *certain* they know precisely what I want.

I already have the set-up manuals for both my current machine plus the auto machine I am considering so pretty much know where I can go and how to get there -- it's just the way I am. You know how engineers are, huh? Too-funny

I have read a few more posts since joining and see the response time of the auto machines may be slower than I think. That might negate my wishes. My point is to not have that hurricane force wind blowing in my face all night when I need it only a short time. If the response time is that slow, I may be better off health-wise at my current settings of 19/15 even if that is a tad high. I can get used to it.

I *will* be buying another machine so it might as well be the most flexible available and I think that means "auto". Probably the only question now is brand.

Thank you for your help!
Phil

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 316 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.