Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change in Medicare [replacement supplies]
RE: Change in Medicare [replacement supplies]
I get a "robocall" from my DME every three months now, asking "Do you need a new mask because your old one is not fitting properly or stained? Do you need a new hose because it has mold or milder in it?" and so forth. So I technically am ordering the supplies and giving a reason prompted by ms. robot.
This suggests to me a new requirement to have justification for the order.
Post Reply Post Reply
My dme requires me to fill out paper work indicating that I'm requesting supplies and Why! I believe they are defending themselves from medicare audits .
I have to check or say the equipment is defective and is leaking to get hoses and masks or mask parts.
Even cushions for the mask, I'm told that time is not enough of a reason ,it must be defective ,cracked ,torn , leaking ,not functional .
My DME has always been tight with supplies , but he is owner operator . I know they are nervous about the new competitive bidding which does not affect us yet as we are in the woods.
I think their major income is oxygen supplies , as we are a heavily retired area.
They usually have the paperwork with them when they drop it off, and if I miss them they leave a return envelope with the paper work inside. So they are very serious about documentation .
I really don't have a problem with that. But I have bought some of my own masks and supplies outright from private parties. Some from online suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, here are the results of a little bit of internet research:

In June 2013, the Federal Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services issued a report and recommendations regarding the replacement schedule for CPAP supplies under Medicare. http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-07-12-00250.pdf

This report suggested that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) revise its replacement schedules for CPAP supplies because the current replacement schedule allows overuse. CMS disagreed with this finding, so it looks like everything remains the same. http://www.hmenews.com/article/oig-cms-r...p-supplies

The Inspector General's report does contain what appears to be the current replacement schedule on page 4 of the report.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,050 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,705 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,820 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 149 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.