Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change mask or not?
Change mask or not?
Using ResMed Activa for a few years now. My gripes are currently that it falls apart in the middle of the night a lot! Nothing broken on it just old I guess. I also don't like the red marks around my nose for the first few hours of the day. I never plan to leave the house till 11 am due to those.

Anyhow, I'm not even sure what size this mask is. How can I tell? I'll probably order a new one online. Any suggestions where to buy for a good price? Need headgear too. Had to sew velcro into mine as the old velcro didn't work anymore. I think I mentioned in my first post that my current insurance does not cover any supplies till I meet my deductible which isn't going to happen so I have to pay cash. The place I could go to if I met my deductible is so outrageously high on everything!!!

I need to do something really soon. Only slept about 4 hours last night from fidgeting with this thing I have now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

EDIT: I just found the template for fit at ResMed site.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change mask or not?
I think you've pretty well worn out your mask. They're designed to last 3 months, but many people report getting a lot more use out of them than that.

Check our Supplier List:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Supplier #1 has a well laid out web site so you can browse different masks and find one you like. They also have live chat.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BarefoofMostly

Well after years of use, yes I would replace the entire mask.
As your pressure is not that high, you could try some newer mask-designs which do not cause marks on the bridge of your nose.
Currently I am using both the ResMed AirFit P10 and AirFit N10. Both masks work really well for me, the N10 comes in when congested & the P10 feels awkward then.
You could order the masks from a vendor online that has a good return policy, or first try the masks out at your DME.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BarefootMostly,
You should replace the whole mask since you've had that one for quite a while. There are lots of masks out there.
Good luck finding one that works well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very fickle when it comes to masks, I have about a dozen different masks.
My favorite this month is the PR Wisp Nasal Mask. Very small, quick connect short hose, no marks on nose and it comes with a fit pack of Small Medium and Large cushions. That takes a lot of the guesswork out of sizing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 08:36 AM)BarefootMostly Wrote: Using ResMed Activa for a few years now. My gripes are currently that it falls apart in the middle of the night a lot! Nothing broken on it just old I guess. I also don't like the red marks around my nose for the first few hours of the day. I never plan to leave the house till 11 am due to those.

Anyhow, I'm not even sure what size this mask is. How can I tell? I'll probably order a new one online. Any suggestions where to buy for a good price? Need headgear too. Had to sew velcro into mine as the old velcro didn't work anymore. I think I mentioned in my first post that my current insurance does not cover any supplies till I meet my deductible which isn't going to happen so I have to pay cash. The place I could go to if I met my deductible is so outrageously high on everything!!!

I need to do something really soon. Only slept about 4 hours last night from fidgeting with this thing I have now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

If I were you, I would double check with your insurance company because most insurance companies don't have a deductible for DME supplies and sometimes when talking with a customer service rep, they tell what the deductible is but don't specifically look at the deductible for DME equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the "ResMed FX for her" nasal pillow mask, if you like that mask send me a PM and maybe I can help you find a very very inexpensive mask, especially if you have no coverage for a mask.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 09:29 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I think you've pretty well worn out your mask. They're designed to last 3 months, but many people report getting a lot more use out of them than that.

Check our Supplier List:

Thank you. I bookmarked the list.
(09-14-2014, 10:23 AM)me50 Wrote:
(09-14-2014, 08:36 AM)BarefootMostly Wrote: Using ResMed Activa for a few years now. My gripes are currently that it falls apart in the middle of the night a lot! Nothing broken on it just old I guess. I also don't like the red marks around my nose for the first few hours of the day. I never plan to leave the house till 11 am due to those.

If I were you, I would double check with your insurance company because most insurance companies don't have a deductible for DME supplies and sometimes when talking with a customer service rep, they tell what the deductible is but don't specifically look at the deductible for DME equipment.

I have a script from my doctor and Ins co. told me who I could go to for machine and mask. The place told me they contacted the Ins co and was told I have to meet a deductible of like 3K or whatever it is. I took the script and left.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,434 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 366 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.