Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change p10 to n20 mask
Change p10 to n20 mask
Has any one changed from a pillow mask to a nasal mask and liked it better? I am thinking about trying the N20 nasal mask to see if I will sleep better and not wake up as often.

I have used the P10 mask for the last 10 months with what I feel has been good results. No complaints as to mask fit, leaks, comfort and etc. My problem is that I wake up several times a night feeling like I am "fighting" therapy. Some how I feel something is causing me to wake up and I can't seem to figure it out. It could as simple as needing more time for my body to adjust to pressure. I can take an afternoon nap for 1 1/2 hour that is absolutely pure heaven. But I cannot duplicate that comfort level at night.

Don't want spend the money for a "try" if my logic is off base.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change p10 to n20 mask
I used the N10 before the P10 and always had trouble with it leaking when I changed positions. The P10 works better for me. Have you tried a larger cushion size (if you are not using large already)? Also take a look at your nightly data and see if there is also a pressure dip at the same time you wake with this feeling. It could be your bottom number is too low for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2017, 01:26 PM)nicholb Wrote: I used the N10 before the P10 and always had trouble with it leaking when I changed positions. The P10 works better for me. Have you tried a larger cushion size (if you are not using large already)? Also take a look at your nightly data and see if there is also a pressure dip at the same time you wake with this feeling. It could be your bottom number is too low for you.

I am currently using the large pillow and an EPR at two. That is a very comfortable combo for me. I am so comfortable with the mask I have a hard time blaming the mask. I wonder if applying pressure directly to airway as opposed to in the general area of the airway can mak a difference

Some of my awakinings are at low pressure AND I cannot say high pressure will wake me. I have even thought about changing to a straight CPAP setting to eliminate any pressure change possibly.

I know I am grabbing at straws.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed from a P10 to an N20 and I like the N20 better. My breathing feels more "natural." I did not like the sensation of something touching the inside of my nose. Since the nasal mask goes over the nose, I no longer have that issue. I also had problems with the headgear with the P10 that I was never able to resolve.

However, I am relatively new to APAP and have only been using it for ~2 months. I never really adjusted to the P10 and I switched to a different mask about 3 weeks in and then to the N20 last week.

I will admit that my first night with the N20 wasn't good. I wasn't able to get it to seal properly. However, once I worked that out, I haven't had any real issues and leaks have been minimal.

The N20 seems quiet to me. (The P10 was loud at times for me.) The headgear doesn't shift at night and the hose piece swivels. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and it works for me.

A couple notes...the headgear comes in three sizes and from what I can tell, only 1 mask comes with 1 headgear so you have one shot at getting it correct. My DME brought a small mask with small headgear (for her) and a medium mask with medium headgear for me to try. I ended up with the medium headgear and the small mask. You can buy any size mask with any size frame, but it would be hard to know what you needed upfront. I personally think that the headgear runs small. I was kinda in the middle between a small frame and a medium frame on the Dreamwear mask. The N20 is a medium and fits, but there isn't much leeway to make it any bigger without getting the large headgear. (So the medium N20 headgear seems to be smaller than the medium dreamwear headgear if that makes sense.)

I know that the N20 is new. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed that you said you wake up a lot with the P10. I did too. I am sleeping longer with the N20 and don't notice the pressure changes as much. Actually now that I think about it--even though the pressure is the same, I don't get the feeling of it blasting at me like I did with the P10.

However the not waking up as much could be due to the comfort and fit issues that I had with the P10 that have been resolved with the N20.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks ChiGirl,
This was the feedback I was looking for. Going on a cruise today but will try to get with my DME when I get back.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the mask. It seems masks are so personal--what works great for someone doesn't work at all for someone else. I wish there was more leeway in trying masks.

As a side note, my DME had a hard time getting the mask and actually picked up samples somewhere before he came over since I told him I wanted to try that one. (So it may take a little while to get.)

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the comments here. I now use the N20 and it is a great mask that is comfortable with minimal leaks compared to using the P10 for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I initially had a nasal mask, didn't like it one bit. I got the P10 and never looked back.

However, I would say at 6 I can not breathe either. My pressure is higher but initially when I had ramp from say 6-9, I could not breathe, or felt that way. So it could be possible you are experiencing that feeling based on your pressure.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the nasal mask. You'll be back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 16 1,583 02-21-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 306 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 159 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 315 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 354 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 358 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Early Morning change in AHI CasitaWayne 20 6,933 01-19-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.