Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change pressure settings for different masks?
Change pressure settings for different masks?
Hi folks,

This is my first post on the forum, and I'm grateful for an opportunity to ask some questions of a learned audience.

I have been using a CPAP for 1.5 years (mild apnea diagnosis), and have had very successful AHI numbers with my Eson nasal mask (generally an average of around 2.5). I will admit, though, that my big challenge has always been just being comfortable using it. With that in mind, I also have an Opus nasal pillows mask that I have had limited success with, but like the comfort and convenience of it. I would like to use this mask if possible.

Unfortunately, when I use the pillows mask, my AHI's are all over the map, and well above 5 quite often. My question is this--is it possible that my pressure settings need to be adjusted to accommodate a different style mask? Or do I just need time to get used to the Opus?

Or should I just leave well enough alone and stick to my Eson??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change pressure settings for different masks?
Welcome

A difficult, but not uncommon question.
It could be a matter of selecting the proper size pillow.
Leak rate should also be investigated.

I'm no expert on PR machines; there is a mask resistance setting that may need to be changed for pillows.

BTW -- which series PR RemStar Auto A-Flex do you have?
[Image: which-remstar.jpg]
[Image: PR-model-1.jpg]
[Image: PR-model-2.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi danielhopkins,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Masks are trial and error, you'll just have to try the different sized pillows to see how you do.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like your leaks are the culprit in this situation. Though you may not feel the leaks themselves, there seems to be a difference in the mask type fittings on your face. There is no way to change the pressures on your machine from one mask to another ,unless, the mask or Respironics. And, even then, your model of machine may not even have that adaption. Don't change pressures to try to accommodate different masks.. That's not going to work. As Mongo suggested, I think a mask fitting or a change of the size of the pillows would help if you like the Opus pillows mask
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
In the clinical settings menu on my Airsense 10, there's a setting for the type mask I'm using. I always thought that tailored the pressure to the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
PR machines have a "resistance setting" that actually does make a small delta in pressure. It think it's like x1,x2, x3.
But, the resistance setting for pillows is not obvious like on ResMed.

Someone on here knows the setting -- perhaps, Sleeprider.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen my pressure need reduce when going from FFM to nasal pillows. It may increase for some people. The only way to find out is to increase the range of your apap from 6-8 to something like 6-10 to begin with, and then evaluate how the pressure waveform for the night looks, in the case of a pillow vis-a-vis nasal mask.

The x1,x2,x3 settings do a minor tweak and is not as important as set pressure in this.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Finding the perfect mask for you can be a real challenge. Keep looking and you shall find one. My personal favorite nasal mask is the mirage activa lt. You have to wear it loose for it to even work properly. I'm on a bipap with a pressure of 22 and 16.

[Image: sztVpew.jpg]

Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone posted a chart for the PR System One mask resistance settings. I have been using them with My Deramstatio and they seem to work OK. They are X1- large pillows, X2- medium pillows and X4 small pillows.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,707 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,557 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.