Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changed BiPAP machines--need advice
RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice
[attachment=5016]
chart
Post Reply Post Reply
Get closer and include the flow rate. Your chart above is about 6 minutes...get down to one or two minutes tops.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=5018]
Zoomed in SH chart
Post Reply Post Reply
Now we're talking. Your respiratory rate in this sample is just over 13 BPM and expiration time is normal, and longer than inspiration time. You are having a brief exhale through your mouth at the end of inhale that causes a brief dip before the flow rate detected by your machine returns to zero (that flat spot). You are probably exhaling orally through this period, as exhale concludes you are back in the mask as flow again approaches zero (all of this is exhale, and the next inspiration begins. I would approximate the time in expiration at 2.5 times inspiration.

This is a brief period of your night, and the machine is not picking this up as a leak, so your therapy is not particularly affected. It is a form of mouth breathing that we see from time to time, and is discussed in the Flow Limitations chart in the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead wiki. See the second to last sample below.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much Sleeprider. The information is invaluable. I am surprised that exhaling through the moth would show up with a FFM, but now I know. I will reread the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead wiki.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
The other possibility is you are inhaling and holding your breath before exhaling. Maybe this is related to a stage of sleep or dreaming, but, somehow you have a pause before most of the exhale is happening. Think about the mechanics of holding your breath. It could cause that brief release of air, zero flow, then exhale. If not for that pause before exhale, this looks pretty normal. The pattern really messes with the machine's ability to detect expiration time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5018]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense.

Thank Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
The attached SH charts as well as the charts attached to the following are focused on Insp. Time.  I seem to have trouble when starting treatment, seems I can't get enough air. I have to mouth breath to get enough air. I am breathing through my nose but it seems I do not get enough air. The Insp. Time seems to be chopped off. It can happen more than 1 time a night. In the following post is the SH chart for 3/21/18. It took over 1 hour foe me to get comfortable enough to sleep.  Any help will be much appreciated.

[attachment=5038][attachment=5037][attachment=5036][attachment=5035][attachment=5034][attachment=5034]
Post Reply Post Reply
These SH charts are associated with my last post.

[attachment=5039][attachment=5040]
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the Ramp on? If so try turning it off.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,853 2 hours ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 876 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  csa machines cexer 1 78 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 332 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.