Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changed Resmed S8 to S9 Elite CPAP
Changed Resmed S8 to S9 Elite CPAP
Since changing when waking in morning my mouth is entirely dryed out. Almost stuck shut from dryness. Have H5i humidifer and no matter what setting I use it is always the same. On the higher settings the humidifer is empty by morning. Do not have climate control hose, using standard thin hose.
Did not have this problem with S8 and its humidifier.
Is there something that can be done to correct this on the S9?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changed Resmed S8 to S9 Elite CPAP
Hi george5127,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a heated hose to see if that helps but hang in there for other suggestions and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible you are opening your mouth while sleeping? Do you check the data with software to see what the leak rate is?

Sometimes, too much humidity can have the same symptoms as too little.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 11:25 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi george5127,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a heated hose to see if that helps but hang in there for other suggestions and best of luck.

Have been considering going to heated hose, may give that a try, Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 11:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Is it possible you are opening your mouth while sleeping? Do you check the data with software to see what the leak rate is?

Sometimes, too much humidity can have the same symptoms as too little.

Have looked at built in settings and do not see any leak rate. Mask test is good. Am not running any other software. I guess it is possible I am opening my mouth. I see you are running extra software, where do I get information on software?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found that the dry and stuck mouth for me means my mouth was open a lot during the night. I too can run my chamber out of water if I am not careful. "Blowing air" (mouth open) will also tend to make your chamber go dry faster than if you weren't doing so. For me, this is clue one that my mouth is open (hissing, blowing, whatever) - not that I have a leak.

Were any settings changed? I would think that a machine change alone (no settings changed) would not cause this at all. And I'll bet that a heated hose (while nice) won't help on this issue.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi george5127
Mouth leaks uses more water, try chinstrap ... chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks. Its vital to maintain mouth closed while using nasal mask but not if using full face mask as it cover nose and mouth

[Image: mouth-leak-cycle-english.jpg]
From ResMed - The Mouth Leak Cycle
http://www.resmed.com/au/clinicians/comp...nc=dealers

Here is the download link for ResScan and SleepyHead software, both supports the S9 (SleepyHead works with Mac computers too)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the mask fit feature is it works at pressure 10 and yours is higher than that. And the mask can fit just fine but you still open your mouth at night. It's a common thing.

Either software will work with your machine. Try both at first to see which one you like the best.

Does the leak rate show on the higher detailed screen? Press the "i" button then press and hold until the screen blinks. This should be a better detailed screen. See if the leak rate is there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 11:09 AM)george5127 Wrote: Since changing when waking in morning my mouth is entirely dryed out. Almost stuck shut from dryness. Have H5i humidifer and no matter what setting I use it is always the same. On the higher settings the humidifer is empty by morning. Do not have climate control hose, using standard thin hose.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhe...e/download
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 11:09 AM)george5127 Wrote: Since changing when waking in morning my mouth is entirely dryed out. Almost stuck shut from dryness. Have H5i humidifer and no matter what setting I use it is always the same. On the higher settings the humidifer is empty by morning. Do not have climate control hose, using standard thin hose.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 319 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 99 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 756 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.