Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new here and a couple of questions on my S9 autoset and nasal pillow
new here and a couple of questions on my S9 autoset and nasal pillow
Hi everyone, I'm very excited and very grateful to the contributors here! a few years back I was diagnosed with a mild sleep apnea and had a older resmed fixed cpap that eventually broke. Back then I used a full face mask and had no issues, it worked pretty well for me.

Thanks to some great reviews here on secondwindcpap I finally got around to buying my autoset S9, download my Resscan and SleepyHead software, and ordered the P10 Airfit Nasal pillow to give that a shot, although I'm might be a little bit of a mouthbreather..

so, did I say I'm excited? I received my unit yesterday..

Hooked up everything, all is good, power on, set temperature to 68 and watched it autoset to 4.

now, at that setting it seemed like I had a little bit of trouble exhaling against the pressure, but not problem inhaling. Does this mean it's a little high? or is this me getting used to the nasal pillow? according the the unit, the mask fit was 'Good'.

Again, thanks to the great resources here I found how to get into clinician mode and manually adjust pressure, but haven't done anything yet, just wondering if I should try with a lower pressure like 3?

Thanks again for a wonderful group, I hope to be able to contribute as well.

Happy Friday!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new here and a couple of questions on my S9 autoset and nasal pillow
Hi mycorrado,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The pressure doesn't go any lower than 4 on the S9 AutoSet.
As far as mouth breathing goes, you might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more suggestions and CONGRATULATIONS! on the new machine, good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the "4" you saw may have been the setting for the humidifier.

I've always felt like I was suffocating when the starting pressure was set at less than 7. What is your prescribed pressure? What is the ramp minutes set to? If you increase the time, you should be able to get to sleep before the machine reaches full pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have a look at the user manual after work, to make sure but it was the bar at the bottom of the screen that was going up like 1.3 -> 3-> 4.

I have not idea what my original pressure was, going to call the sleep center where I did the original study years back to see if they still have the records.. this was back in 2007 or 2008..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hy mycorrado, nice to read you here.

4 is pretty low. I believe the machine defaults to 4 as the beginning point when it's first set up. I know mine did and I had problems with that. But then it quickly ramps up to something I can live with. So in your case I'm guessing it starts at 4, which is what you see, then ramps up to ??? That could be the problem. So yes, find out what they set the machine at originally. Sometimes they think it's a good idea to set the start at 4 and the max at 20. That's not necessarily a great choice. The machine will try to figure out what is best for you, but it might take it a little while to get it right.

Ask the sleep center if you can set the pressures to something greater than 4 on startup and less than say 14 or so on max. I think you'll be much happier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Retired_Guy, I had just figured that out.. The machine is set to defaults, with a minimum of 4 and max of 20. starting pressure is 4 as well.

I am waiting for a copy of my original sleep study to see what they tritated me at back then, and will set the min , and starting pressure a little under that range.

If I understand correctly autoset monitors 3 parameters to determine if pressure needs to increase (restricted airflow among them), and since I was wide awake testing the unit, no events triggered an increase and it stayed as it should at the minimum pressure, which was equal to the startup pressure so there was really nothing to ramp-up to.

I did play with EPR which was off, and could tell the difference when set to 3, interesting feature.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, mycorrado.

This is a great place for useful information.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 12:28 PM)mycorrado Wrote: Thanks Retired_Guy, I had just figured that out.. The machine is set to defaults, with a minimum of 4 and max of 20. starting pressure is 4 as well.

I am waiting for a copy of my original sleep study to see what they tritated me at back then, and will set the min , and starting pressure a little under that range.

If I understand correctly autoset monitors 3 parameters to determine if pressure needs to increase (restricted airflow among them), and since I was wide awake testing the unit, no events triggered an increase and it stayed as it should at the minimum pressure, which was equal to the startup pressure so there was really nothing to ramp-up to.

I did play with EPR which was off, and could tell the difference when set to 3, interesting feature.

Sounds like you have a handle on this. Yes, I would set the min a bit less than what your old pressure was, but something greater than 4. In my case I was not happy until I put it to 7. Then I would set your max to something greater than your old pressure, but not clear up to 20. Maybe 14 or so.

Let us know how you come out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 5 190 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 168 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 989 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 215 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 151 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,296 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 247 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.