Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changed to finer filter and gott egg smell??
Changed to finer filter and gott egg smell??
Hello Everybody,
My name is Chris and I look forward to communing with all of you.

A strange thing happened to me last night:
Was sleeping with my nasal pillow mask on and woke up to a rotten egg smell, "Hydrogen Sulfide type" coming into my nostrils. The only thing that I did different was put the fine disposable filter into my "M" machine. We do not have a problem with HS.

I am going to try to use it again tonight and hopefully there will not be a smell.

Any ideas what might this causing this?
I use distlled water, clean my foam filter weekly and my pillows about every other day.

Thank you,

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changed to finer filter and gott egg smell??
Hi Hiroku1324,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had that problem, hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Chris,

If you didn't already, try washing your new "finer" filter with the cleaner you usually use on your other filters. Just a thought. And welcome to the ApneaBoard Forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
The finer white filters for the Respironics are disposable filters and I don't think they can be washed. The gray foam filters can be washed, though.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ANY odor means bacteria doing what all living things do -- poop. If your filter is capturing bacteria (and they are supposed to) and the bacteria live and poop, you get odor. Next, look to where the bacteria are coming from! Inside the fan of the machine? Hose? Water tank?

I run a final filter between the humidifier and the hose and I am amazed at what it catches. Glad that stuff isn't making it into my lungs!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi glfredrick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If truly H2S, it's a very toxic gas on a level with C-O and HCN.
It's produced naturally by anaerobic bacteria.

Do you clean your hose and the mask part that holds the pillows.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Mongo, you just woke me right up. Thinking back to Qualitative Analysis lab, all of us sniffed a lot of hydrogen sulfide. We were generating it for analytical work. Never thought of it as being toxic until I just now looked up its toxicity. Between H2Sused in Qual and CCl4 used in Organic, it is a wonder that we lived through college.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 05:11 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi glfredrick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Chris, Richard here. I have a different brand, but when I got a foul smell, it was acrid and plastic smelling and it was because my humidifier ran out of water. I called ResMed and they said not to worry, that it was from leakage and try not to let it happen again. (I had a smaller mask at the time).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 319 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.