Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changed type of mask - trouble breathing
Changed type of mask - trouble breathing
I have been using a Swift FX Pillow mask for over a year now and sleep well. I have a basal cell carcinoma removed from my nose and now can't use the pillowed mask for at least 4 weeks. I also have a Mirage FX mask which I use to use with no problem that covers the nose. Problem is I can't breathe as well with the Mirage FX. I have to purposely take deep breaths and can't relax and sleep.  Can I change a setting on my ResMed S9 to increase the pressure or another setting to get more air.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changed type of mask - trouble breathing
Welcome!  Yes, you can change the pressure.  From my, and other's, experience, nasal pillows need the least pressure and full-face masks the most to result in the same experienced therapy levels.  See the CPAP Setup Manuals link above to request a manual for your machine.   An increase of 1-2 should get you back to similar results as before.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
If my S9 pressure is 13 do you mean 13.2 or 15?
Post Reply Post Reply
Try increasing the minimum pressure by 1.0 cm. also make sure you change the mask setting on the machine from pillow to nasal.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla's advice is what I had in mind too.  There is a pretty significant difference in optimal pressure difference between mask types, i.e.  more in the range of 1 - 3 cmH2O rather that 0.1 - 0.3 cH2O.  The latter is closer to what the machines seem to change when you change the types.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,998 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,582 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,146 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 287 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.