Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changeover from full face to nasal mask
Changeover from full face to nasal mask
My nasal mask has just arrived, I have reset the S9 to suit, I do have a chin strap but was going to try running without it at first.

Anything else I should do?

I am still waking at 2-4 o'clock in the morning, taking the mask off and trying to get a couple of hours more sleep.Sad

All the very best to everyone for 2016.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changeover from full face to nasal mask
Hi Phil,
Hoping the new mask works out for you.

Just try to get a good fit without over tightening straps.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What pressures are you at? By all means try it without the chinstrap 1st. You might download the resmed or Sleepyhead software to give you something to look at. Don't let the software intimidate you, most here can help you look for patterns until you get the hang of it.

Lastly, go at least 7 days as a minimum test period to look for patterns before making changes.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
Thanks to both of you for the input.

EPR is set to full time, pressures, min. 8 max.20

AHI on December 25th was 0.17, which they say is pretty damn good.

My target is to get 7-8hrs of decent sleep, and to feel like I have got it, I am getting neither at present.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally the nasal masks require considerably less pressure to do the job as compared to the FF masks. For most people, If their current 95% pressure is below 12 cm H2O, they have an easier time switching to the nasal mask with no mouth leakage problems. Any amount of pressure reduction is valuable in making for greater mask comfort and better sleep.

Good luck.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dude.

SleepyHead says that with the face mask I have a small but acceptable amount of major leakage with the pressure under 12.22 for 95% of the time.

Will leave the settings as they are for the moment and look to ramping the pressure down in the next few days.

If I change too many things at the same time it will be hard to get a fix on what is actually working.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like a good idea since you are presently running at 12.2 or lower 95% of the time and your present settings are 8 ~ 20 auto. That should work without you changing anything, maybe even for the long run. We can hope that your new 95% figure will be around 10. That would be a great way to start the new year!

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2015, 09:21 AM)Phill Wrote: My nasal mask has just arrived, I have reset the S9 to suit, I do have a chin strap but was going to try running without it at first.

Anything else I should do?

I am still waking at 2-4 o'clock in the morning, taking the mask off and trying to get a couple of hours more sleep.Sad

All the very best to everyone for 2016.

I also wake at 2-4 o'clock and take off my ffm Amara View! I'm ready to give my Airfit 10 another try also! Let's hope we both success !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phill,
Good luck to you with your new mask.
Happy newyear to you and everyone else.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What did sleepy head say as to your max pressure reached? It is standard for the medical people to leave such a wide range.

Since you are doing so well already, my opinion for a start would be leave min @8 and lower the max to 1cmH2O MORE than the max reading you had in sleepy Head. Give it a week (I go 30 days), if no ill effects, then you can dial in the pressure better. It is true that nasal pillows work best at lower pressures, otherwise the damn thing tries to fly off your face!!!!

One more thought, take a scrap paper and log what changes you made in case you have to backup.

(12-31-2015, 10:56 AM)Phill Wrote: Thanks Dude.

SleepyHead says that with the face mask I have a small but acceptable amount of major leakage with the pressure under 12.22 for 95% of the time.

Will leave the settings as they are for the moment and look to ramping the pressure down in the next few days.

If I change too many things at the same time it will be hard to get a fix on what is actually working.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.