Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing CPAP machine in attempt to resolve bloating and gas
Changing CPAP machine in attempt to resolve bloating and gas
I'm a member of a FB support group for CPAP users and there is a member that has been advised to change from a Resmed (type unknown) to the Dreamstation to resolve the effects of bloating and gas.  They were told that it's the Resmed's algorithm that could be causing the issue and the Dreamstation's algorithm should help.

This person was told by many including myself that we doubt that this will resolve this condition.  Everyone's input was pretty well the same.  They could be a mouth breather, pressure too high, pressure too low etc.  This person also believes that their weight gain is totally related to this issue.

Has anyone else ever heard of switching machines/brands to alleviate this condition?  I get it if a machine maybe malfunctioning but I think that their DME is not helping.

I also mentioned that they should go to their doctor as there maybe other underlying issues not related to their sleep disorder.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing CPAP machine in attempt to resolve bloating and gas
Bloating and gas (aerophagia) is typically caused from swallowing air. Could be from mouth breathing.  

Although ResMed's algorithm is more aggressive than the DreamStations, I doubt it would make much difference.  

The logical thing to do is stick with his current machine and learn how to combat this issue. He/she could google the subject of aerophagia and find many helpful articles.

Sometimes, switching to Cpap mode at a lower pressure, then watching the numbers and the bloating.  Then slowly raise the pressure a little each day and observe.  

Lower pressure plus the use of EPR often helps.  Although, it may be a trade off between optimal therapy (higher AHI) and not having to deal with air swallowing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset algorithm is actually better for aerophagia because of the way pressure is delivered and EPR. Based on your profile, you are using a fixed pressure of 8.0. How about posting a screenshot of your therapy and letting us help? I think we can use an autoset mode with EPR to help you be much more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My post was about someone else who I believe is being misinformed by her DME. She’s been told about the ResMed is the “gold standard” as well as been given links and references about aerophagia.

I doubt I would get any data from her.  

I was only wondering if switching machines was real thing to fix aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
A yacht payment AND a switch to a new machine with different (lower) settings may help. But first try
A switch to different (lower) settings on the existing machine and you should see the same results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am extremely susceptible to aerophagia. Here are the things I've done to help prevent it:

- Use the lowest pressures that still adequately treat my apnea.

- Keep my head *and shoulders* elevated, so my wind pipe fights gravity. (I don't want gravity taking the air into my stomach.)

- Sleep on my side. I forget which side is more prone to the air getting trapped. But one of the sides is more prone to trapping the air, so try not to sleep on that side nor your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Within the first two weeks of CPAP therapy they switched me to a bi-level (BiPAP) machine to treat my aerophagia.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2020, 09:47 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Within the first two weeks of CPAP therapy they switched me to a bi-level (BiPAP) machine to treat my aerophagia.

Wow!  You had a doctor who cared!!!

How did it treat the aerophagia?  Was it the lower EPAP that helped?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update, the person I was talking about did change to a DreamStation (model unknown) and has stated that the bloating and gas has been reduced. Still having slight issues but better.

This person was taken to task as to why the change when adjustments could be made both on the machine and mask/chinstrap. The response was that it was changed by their doctor not by them.

Nothing more has been said but leaves me to think that either there maybe a cause and effect between the previous ResMed and the DreamStation this person could be presently using. It could also be a panacea and more of a placebo effect.

I will update if anything else is arises.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2020, 11:53 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: How did it treat the aerophagia?  Was it the lower EPAP that helped?

My understanding is that the lower EPAP is supposed to help with the aerophagia. I started off with a CPAP at a fixed pressure of 13, then they changed me to a BiPAP with fixed pressures of 13/8. That made my CA index go up so they changed the pressure to 11/8. After that I took control of the pressure settings and started experimenting with lower pressures. Then I found a ResMed VPAP Auto on craigslist and eventually upgraded to the ResMed AirCurve VAuto with the pressure settings shown in my profile.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 627 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,740 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.