Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing CPAP to APAP; PR System One REMstar
Ohmy 
Changing CPAP to APAP; PR System One REMstar
Hello. I'm new to the board. I have a PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex. Up until a year ago, I used it with great success on CPAP mode (for about a year). My insurance no longer covers anything sleep apnea related and I cannot afford sleep studies - which I need because of drastic weight/medication/health changes. I've looked through a lot of information on this site (and others) about my options but it is all pretty overwhelming - a lot to sort through and absorb.

I've decided to switch my machine from CPAP to APAP, which I *think* I have done. I'm currently deciding on a new mask and cannot test it. So far, I've only switched the mode. I did not change any of the numbers - the minimum is 4 and maximum is 20. I'm wondering if there are any other settings / tips / tricks I should be aware of during this process? The manual really only tells you how to access the menu. I haven't found much on what to change the settings to. Any advice would be appreciated. I do understand this is somewhat of a subjective and gray area though.

I do plan on learning to interpret all the information from my system and tightening the range of pressure. But it all looks like a foreign language at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing CPAP to APAP; PR System One REMstar
(10-02-2014, 04:05 PM)PacificNova Wrote: Hello. I'm new to the board. I have a PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex. Up until a year ago, I used it with great success on CPAP mode (for about a year). My insurance no longer covers anything sleep apnea related and I cannot afford sleep studies - which I need because of drastic weight/medication/health changes. I've looked through a lot of information on this site (and others) about my options but it is all pretty overwhelming - a lot to sort through and absorb.

I've decided to switch my machine from CPAP to APAP, which I *think* I have done. I'm currently deciding on a new mask and cannot test it. So far, I've only switched the mode. I did not change any of the numbers - the minimum is 4 and maximum is 20. I'm wondering if there are any other settings / tips / tricks I should be aware of during this process? The manual really only tells you how to access the menu. I haven't found much on what to change the settings to. Any advice would be appreciated. I do understand this is somewhat of a subjective and gray area though.

I do plan on learning to interpret all the information from my system and tightening the range of pressure. But it all looks like a foreign language at the moment.

Hi PacificNova,
Welcome to the forum. You have found a great place to get answers.

Several Recommendations:

1) Determine what specific model of machine you have, and update your profile. People can give much better assistance if they have this info.

2) Request the Clinician Manual for your machine, once you know the model. There is a procedure for making the request thru this forum.

3) Download and install the Sleepyhead software, and start using it to look at your data on a regular basis.

4) Don't make any changes to your therapy until you have monitored the data for a while, and can see the effects of any change.

5) If you want to switch the machine from CPAP mode to APAP, set a narrow pressure range from just below your prescribed fixed pressure, to just above it, and monitor the data for a while. Many here suggest that you (A) only make one change at a time, and (B) let any change settle for a week or longer. Otherwise it is too difficult to assess the effect of any change.

6) Don't expect to find advice on what settings to use from any manual for your machine. Probably the best avenue is to post some of your data to this board, and ask for help with interpretation.

Good Luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello PacificNova,
welcome to this forum!

Welcome

Without detailed information of the quality of your sleep it will be impossible to advice you in finding adequate settings of your machine.

You should download the free software SleepyHead which can readout detailed data from the SD-card of your machine. A link to the most recent version you'll find the first thread on top of the Main Apnea Board page.

Best wishes
Fat Rat

PS: I am late ... and too old! Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PacificNova,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you know the pressure that you were titrated at during your sleep study?
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 04:05 PM)PacificNova Wrote: I've decided to switch my machine from CPAP to APAP, which I *think* I have done.
4-20 is counterproductive. I would use CPAP pressure as a guide, for example, if CPAP pressure 11, I would set the minimum pressure at 9 and maximum pressure at 14. The machine adjust pressure as needed between the minimum and maximum pressure during the night

Post Reply Post Reply
From your past set cpap pressure Id go 2 cm down for the min and 2 cm up for the max. Then check your data over a week and move up or down accordingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
The basic information has been said to get the manual, get sleepyhead, etc.

4-20 on apap is a recipe for an uncomfortable nights sleep. There are quite a few reasons, first 4 is a very low pressure and likely you will struggle to breathe and be uncomfortable at that level. The 4-20 leaves a wide gap for the machine to auto adjust over and it will keep cycling back and forth in that wide range. Not a good plan.

Go look at what the CPAP straight was set for then using that as a guideline I'd suggest an over under of 4 just as a starting point so if you were set at 11 then a setting of 9-13 should get you started. Just my opinion.

But do get the clinical manual, the software and everything else because you are going to need it of you intend to self treat and diagnose.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 04:05 PM)PacificNova Wrote: My insurance no longer covers anything sleep apnea related and I cannot afford sleep studies -

For Whatever It's Worth, I'm not sure they're actually allowed to do that.

You might want to check with your state's insurance commissioner.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 351,991 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 554 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.